Island

By: Amphitrite (papervanity@gmail.com)

Rated: PG

Pairing: Jack/Will

Summary: During their time stranded on a remote island, Jack dreams. Elizabeth watches.



 

 


Jack turned on his side in his sleep, facing her. She observed him meticulously, studying every little detail from the exotic beads to the thick braids to the worn red bandana and (a bit ashamedly, but no one would ever know, right?) even at the part of his chest exposed by the open white shirt. He shifted and she froze, afraid that she had been caught, but he did not wake. He made a small sighing noise and a tiny smile arose upon his face. It was not a smile that she had ever seen before; it expressed content and untarnished happiness. And then suddenly, he inhaled sharply, breath quickening almost imperceptibly. He shifted again, reaching an arm out as if he were searching for someone. Fingers caressed nothing but white sand. They curled in the absence of his phantom lover.

She reached over to gently place the hand back near its owner, but the palm turned and gripped her own hand desperately.

Will,” Jack murmured, the quiet whisper lost in the soothing crackle of the fire and the light ocean breeze.

She froze.

After the initial surprise had passed, she carefully pried the fingers from around her hand and set it down at Jack’s side. She sat down on the sand, idly arranging her garments around her.

Elizabeth drew her knees to her chest and thought long and hard until the fire went out.