Fly With Me

By: Amphitrite (papervanity@gmail.com)

Rated: PG-13

Pairing: Bakura/Yami

Summary: Someone once said opposites attract. That phrase has been repeated so much that it's become a cliché. Nevertheless, it will be proven to be true by the two most unexpected people.



 

 


 

Chapter 1: A Revelation

It’s funny how just when everything feels so right in your life, it can all come tumbling down. Explanation for my moodiness? Simple, really: I’m jealous. Of who? Pretty much everyone around me. Reason? Isn’t it obvious? They all have their own little boyfriends, girlfriends, lovers, soulmates—with whom they share everything, from kisses to secrets to trust.

 

And me? Ha. Yeah, right. As if anyone would even think about dating a 3000 year old former pharaoh of Ancient Egypt. Not exactly the kind of thing you’d look for in a personals ad. I suppose if I went looking, eventually someone would take me as a lover, but that’s not what I’m looking for. Not at all.

 

I want someone who will understand me and like me for who I am; someone who I can trust with all my deepest thoughts; someone who I can complain to; someone who I can relate to. Unfortunately, this is all unnecessarily difficult due to the fact that despite this solid body I own now, I am still not exactly what one would call an ordinary being.

 

Sighing deeply, Yami pondered the heavy depression in his chest. Absentmindedly, he stirred his cup of tea and scanned his surroundings for his friends, who were casually enjoying themselves.

 

The cozy teenage hangout was, as usual, filled with teenagers of all ages and heights. Sharing a loveseat in a secluded corner, Ryou and Yuugi were deep in conversation, small hands intertwined. Anzu and Shizuka were at the counter, clinging to each other in giggling fits. Next to them sat Honda and Otogi, who were sharing an obnoxiously colorful drink and laughing to themselves. Jounouchi and Kaiba had disappeared together half an hour ago and still had yet to make another appearance. Yami felt a pang of loneliness as he examined each of their happy faces (and discarded the disturbing images that Jounouchi and Kaiba’s absence conjured). Why had he agreed to come along? He should’ve just told Yuugi that he was too tired.

 

“Mind if I join you?”

 

Yami was startled out of his thoughts when a familiar, imposing voice interrupted his reverie. “Huh?” he answered unintelligently.

 

A sharp, amused chuckle: “I’m up here, Pharaoh.” Yami looked up and instantly narrowed his eyes when he recognized who the voice belonged to.

 

“What do you want,” he replied, deadpan. Bakura’s expression reeked of indifference; he shrugged nonchalantly.

 

“I asked if you would like my company. It looks awfully dreary over here. Realizing your incompetence and meaningless existence, Pharaoh?”

 

Yami snorted. “My existence is a thousand times more meaningful than yours, Thief.”

 

“Oh, really? Do explain,” Bakura prodded, and growled in frustration when Yami ignored his taunting tone of voice and drifted back into his own little world. Bakura hated being ignored. He snapped, “Pharaoh.”

 

“Hn?” was Yami’s absent response.

 

Rolling his eyes, Bakura said slowly, “May I sit here? Is that clear enough for your miniscule brain?”

 

 “Uh-huh.” Yami nodded, still not paying attention. Settling in the seat across from him, Bakura raised an eyebrow and waited for something to happen. Instead, they just sat there in an awkward silence. Bored and just the tiniest bit curious, Bakura followed Yami’s lost gaze to Yuugi and Ryou. Their younger incarnations were laughing about something, Ryou attempting to muffle his giggles by burying his head into Yuugi’s wild hair. Wrinkling his nose at the domesticity of his host and his lover, Bakura turned back to Yami to study his expression.

 

He looked…envious? Envious and sad.

 

Strange… What on earth did Yuugi or Ryou have that could garner jealousy from the Pharaoh?

 

Bakura watched as Yuugi let out another giggle and kissed Ryou playfully on the cheek—and Yami’s eyes instantly switched back to staring mournfully at his barely drunken cup of tea.

 

Ah. Now we were getting somewhere: clearly, the Pharaoh was jealous of their love. He, too, wanted someone to cherish and adore, someone to laugh with, someone to cry to. Interesting…

 

Bakura coughed and cleared his throat to get Yami’s attention. “So, what’s on your mind, Pharaoh?”

 

After fifteen long, awkward seconds, Yami realized that he was being addressed. “Me?” Bakura nodded exasperatedly. Yami was silent for a moment, and Bakura was afraid that he had become distracted again—but then Yami spoke: “Life. Wishes. Soul mates.”

 

Well, that was an unexpected answer, Bakura thought. “Soul mates? The runt?” he asked, slightly curious. Yami shook his head.

 

“Soul mates. Lovers.”

 

Startled not by Yami’s answer itself but its honest nature, Bakura raised an eyebrow. “Would you care to elaborate?” he asked. Yami sipped his tea, which had cooled considerably by now, and suppressed a grimace at its unsavory taste.

 

“No, thank you.”

 

After Yami’s polite and rather emotionless reply, an uncomfortable silence settled over the two again. Unable to stand it, Bakura asked another seemingly random query, “You ever loved someone, Pharaoh?”

 

Magenta eyes flickered to Bakura’s face, scanning for traces of mockery. ‘Love’ was not ordinarily a word found in Bakura’s vocabulary. Finding no hint of ridicule—surprisingly—Yami carefully replied, “No.”

 

“That’s odd. With your good looks, I never would’ve thought…. Hmm. So you yearn to experience love?”

 

Yami’s suspicious expression evolved into one of surprise at hearing the bold, perceptive question; then, it proceeded to become bashful and confused when he realized that Bakura had complimented him. What a strange thing for the Thief King to say to him.

 

“How… Well, yes…. Yes, I do. Immensely,” he added.

 

Bakura stirred his drink and chugged it before pulling back in his seat and searching Yami with his eyes. “You say you have never loved anyone. Has anyone ever loved you, then?”

 

Sadly, Yami answered, “No, I don’t believe so.”

 

Smiling secretly to himself, Bakura tipped his head slightly downwards toward his now empty glass so his white bangs shielded most of his face. How wrong and blind you are, Pharaoh. Someone who loves you very much is sitting right in front of your eyes.

 

“Really, now?” Yami nodded slowly, not sure why the normally hostile ex-tomb robber was asking him such odd questions. “Not even in Egypt?”

 

Yami shook his head. The two were silent again. Annoyed by Yami’s decision to keep his thoughts and angst to himself, Bakura fidgeted in his seat. Damn it, I give up. I’ll never get the Pharaoh’s attention. But as he stood up to leave, he was stopped by Yami’s deep, calm voice.

 

“Have you ever loved anyone, Bakura?”

 

Bakura started. Leaning back in his chair again, he pondered his choices. He could do what Yami expected and just lie and say no. Then again, he could just ignore the Pharaoh and leave, like he had been about to before he’d been interrupted. Or—Bakura swallowed nervously—he could attempt honesty for once and tell Yami the truth: that he did indeed love someone, someone who was both infuriating and captivating, beautiful and tainted, noble and cruel. He settled for the honest answer (if he ever wanted Yami to think kindly of him, he had better start telling the truth):

 

“…Yes. I do at the moment, actually.”

 

His honest answer was met with Yami’s confused blinks; his face twisted in disbelief. Bakura mentally slapped himself, immediately regretting the impulsive decision. Lying was always so much safer.

 

“Who?”

 

Bakura shifted nervously in his seat and cursed Ryou’s pale skin for its inability to hide even the faintest blush. “I’d prefer to keep that particular piece of information to myself, Pharaoh,” he said tightly. Inexplainably, Yami’s face fell slightly.

 

Yami nodded, understanding that it was Bakura’s love life was his own business. But he felt a faint flutter of disappointment in his chest. Why am I disappointed? Why do I even give a damn who Bakura loves? He’s just like the others, wrapped in their own little perfect lives with their lovers. Someone like him could only ever love some other maniac, anyway. It’s too bad, because I just…

 

“…I just kind of wish that it was me.”

 

Yami almost fell out of his seat when he heard himself say that out loud. Word vomit! Word vomit! What the hell was that? his mind shrieked as his mouth flapped wordlessly in an attempt to take the strange admission back.

 

Bakura was in a similar state of shock, but he calmed his fluttering heart down and merely watched Yami splutter, intensity obvious in his eyes and rigid limbs. Bright red and muttering unhappily to himself, Yami finally raised his eyes up to meet Bakura’s, ashamed. They stared at each other, challenging the other to speak.

 

“What was that, Pharaoh? Did you mean it?” Bakura asked, ordinarily sharp voice mellowing into a questioning lilt. A miniscule amount of hope escaped into his attempt at indifference.

 

Yami was silent for what seemed like ages before he composed himself and answered calmly: “No. No, I didn’t. It just slipped out; I don’t know what got into me.”

 

But why did such a truthful statement feel like such a lie?

 

 

 

 

Chapter 2: Thinking of You

It had been two weeks since Yami had confessed his feelings for Bakura, feelings that he didn’t even know he had. Since that fateful day, those feelings had begun sprouting into deeper feelings of attraction. Soon, those same feelings would blossom into feelings of real love.

 

Yami began to notice odd little details about the abrasive thief during those two weeks. Like how he was right-handed and always used a fork or spoon to eat. Everyone else used chopsticks. He had a tendency to run his pale right hand through his messy silver locks. When he was in thought (which was actually a lot of the time, to Yami’s surprise), Bakura always fiddled with the cord that the Sennen Ring hung from. All this Yami learned just by watching Bakura from inside the puzzle. Amazing what one can find out when bored, hmm?

 

Once, Yami had paused from ‘spying’ and had asked himself why he was staring at Bakura’s ass. He had sat on the throne in his soul room and pondered this question for countless hours, but never found the answer. The thing is, despite everyone else’s beliefs, the two weren’t exactly mortal enemies. They weren’t out to get each other. Sure, during the Battle Ship, Yami had been worried about Bakura and what havoc he would wreck. But if anyone was Yami’s mortal enemy, that would be Mariku. Mariku didn’t mind Yami at all, to tell you the truth. He was just…there. The two were on okay terms. Same with Yami and Bakura. Sure, Yami disliked Bakura, but definitely not hated. The only people Yami had ever hated were Pegasus, Malik, and Mariku. Bakura wasn’t on that list.

 

Bakura himself had hated Yami for a while, especially after the first battle of the Battle City finals. But now… Well, now he felt an indescribable affinity to the Pharaoh; to the man that he had loathed in Egypt. The aforementioned thief sat on the floor of Ryou’s house with a deck of playing cards. He was practicing his shuffling skills. The way he had shuffled his cards before bent his cards. Now most of his cards had a crooked crease down the middle. He hated dueling with damaged cards, so he was trying to teach himself how to shuffle like Yami did.

 

During Battle City, Bakura had noticed that Yami’s cards were never bent, due to his ‘superior’ shuffling skills.

 

He almost got the hang of it. Just a few more tries…

 

“Yami? I’m home!” Ryou called as the front door opened. A few seconds later, Ryou appeared at the doorway of his room. He sat down on his knees in front of Bakura and tilted his head to the side as his dark half gathered the cards up into a stack. “Yami, what are you doing?”

 

“What does it look like I’m doing?” Bakura replied gruffly.

 

Ryou shrugged. “I don’t know.”

 

Bakura rolled his eyes in an annoyed manner. “Leave me alone.” Ryou frowned, but got up and left his bedroom.

 

Stupid annoying omote…

 

~

 

Ryou sat at his desk, working on his homework. He sighed and gazed longingly at a picture on his desk. Of Amane. His stare slowly switched to the framed photograph next to it. Of Yuugi. His small frown slowly curved into a smile. Yuugi always cheered him up. Maybe he should call him now.

 

Just as Ryou was thinking this, his phone began ringing. “Hello, you’ve reached the Bakura residence. May I ask who’s speaking?”

 

The person on the other line laughed. “Do you always have to be so formal, Ryou?”

 

Ryou instantly brightened when he recognized the voice. “Yuugi~! I was just about to call you!”

 

“Why?” Yuugi questioned curiously. Ryou shrugged, even though he knew the other couldn’t see it.

 

“I don’t know,” he clarified. “Can’t I call my boyfriend when I want to?”

 

Yuugi grinned. Ryou could feel it in his voice. “Of course you can!”

 

“So why did you call?”

 

“Well…I wanted to talk to you!” Yuugi said cutely. Ryou flopped onto the bed and lay on his stomach.

 

“So…”

 

Yuugi was quiet for a moment. Then, “Don’t you think that Yami and Bakura would look cute together?”

 

Ryou blinked rapidly at Yuugi’s random outburst for two reasons. One, because it was, well, random; and two, because of what Yuugi had actually said. “What did you say? And where did that come from?”

 

Yuugi laughed again. “I was just wondering. I mean, Yami’s kinda lonely, you know? Bakura too.”

 

Ryou raised an eyebrow. “Why my yami, then? Why not…Anzu? She’s single,” he asked.

 

“Anzu’s a girl.”

 

Ryou’s eyebrow rose. “…And your point is?”

 

“Ryou, Yami is gay.”

 

“Oh, right. Forgot about that,” the silver haired hikari replied, realizing his mistake. Yuugi giggled. “Well, there’s still Jounouchi.”

 

“Otogi would kill me if I tried to get Jounouchi and Yami together. The two aren’t ‘officially’ in a relationship yet, but their time will come.”

 

“Who, your yami and Jounouchi?”

 

“No! Otogi and Jounouchi!” Yuugi exclaimed.

 

“Oh. Sorry.” Ryou grinned. “Well, I suppose our yamis might look somewhat appealing, though a bit scary, together. Even if they hate each other and both are out to kill the other. But I am definitely not playing matchmaker for them!”

 

Yuugi closed his mouth and pouted. “How did you know I was going to ask?”

 

Ryou rolled his eyes playfully. “Yuugi, you always want to play matchmaker. It always turns out to be a disaster. Remember Kaiba and Isis?”

 

“How was I supposed to know that Kaiba was gay and liked Jounouchi? Besides, did you see how cute those two (and I’m talking about your yami and mine, Ryou) looked together at the hangout that day?”

 

“No, I was too busy paying attention you.”

 

Another laugh. “Aww, that’s so sweet of you, Ryou.”

 

Ryou sniffled. “And you were too busy looking at Bakura and Yami! I feel so offended,” He pretended to break down. Bakura knocked on his door.

 

“Are you okay, Ryou? Why the hell are you crying?” he asked.

 

Ryou and Yuugi both cracked up. Between his laughs, Ryou managed to call back, “I’m okay, Yami! Not crying!”

 

Outside, Bakura rolled his eyes. He walked away. “…Whatever.”

 

Finally, Ryou and Yuugi stopped laughing. Ryou stifled a giggle. “Well, that was weird.”

 

“You tell me. Maybe you should go into acting. I mean, if Bakura was able to believe that you were actually crying.” Yuugi paused. “You weren’t crying, were you, koi?”

 

“Of course not!” Ryou said indignantly.

 

“Good. Just making sure.”

 

“Do you think that I’d actually cry about that?”

 

“Well, you’re kind of unpredictable at times, you know.”

 

“Hey! I resent that!”

 

~

 

Bakura opened his eyes blearily. He was lying on the sofa and had apparently fallen asleep while watching television. Ryou had turned the television off and laid a blanket on him. He sat up, rubbing his eyes. He decided to go on a walk. Might as well…It’s not like I can go back to sleep again.

 

He glanced at the clock. Three fifteen. In the morning. He shrugged. Even better. The thief put on his shoes and grabbed his house keys, walking out the front door and making sure to lock it securely. He slipped the keys into his pocket and headed toward the park.

 

Before he knew it, he was there. He wandered around and then took a seat on a swing. The memories of that day at the teenage hangout came rushing back to him. He thought carefully about what Yami had said to him. Those seven words haunted him…

 

“I just wish that it was me.”

 

If Yami hadn’t meant it, why had he said it?

 

But deep down in Bakura’s heart, he knew Yami had meant what he said. You don’t usually just go blurting out that kind of stuff to someone you despise if you don’t mean it.

 

The thing is, Bakura didn’t know that Yami didn’t hate him. It was an assumption. After the Monster World and Duelist Kingdom incidents, added on with everything that happened in Battle City, it had pretty much been implied.


And that’s what everyone else thought.

 

Bakura heard the swing next to him squeak as somebody sat down next to him on it. Out of curiosity, he turned his head to look at the stranger.

 

There, right next to him, sat the object of his affections.

 

 

 

Chapter 3: Don’t Understand

Yami was looking at the seesaw with dazed eyes. But Bakura saw that he wasn’t truly staring at the toy. It was as if his mind was somewhere far, far away and his body was still on Earth. Bakura found himself staring.

 

“Are you always out this late, Thief?” the pharaoh’s mouth asked, though his eyes gave the impression that his question had no true motive.

 

“No, not usually. Why? Are you?”

 

“Sometimes. When the atmosphere feels right and I need somewhere to vent all my feelings; and need to just let go...of everything.” Yami turned to Bakura with burdened eyes. “Do you ever feel that way, Bakura?” He closed his eyes and turned away. “Like you just have too much to worry and stress about, and that you just need to get rid of it all and relax?”

 

Bakura wasn’t sure how to answer. Had he ever felt that way? Well, I suppose…I mean, I never really thought about it like that. When I need to get rid of stress, I just go beating up mortals in downtown Domino. “I…don’t know,” he said uncertainly. Yami smiled softly. He bowed his head down so his flaxen bangs covered the part of his face that Bakura could see.

 

“You’re lucky. You have a love…It must be a wonderful feeling, having someone to rely on all the time, to confide all your troubles and secrets to. I wish I could feel that way…”

 

“Why can’t you?” Bakura asked rather bluntly. Yami’s head snapped up and he looked directly into the other’s eyes.

 

“I…I don’t know how.”

 

Bakura blinked and then frowned. “You…don’t know how? There’s no ‘how’ about love! It’s just…you just—what I mean to say is… You just love… It’s not that difficult.” His almond colored eyes met Yami’s cerise ones. “I bet that’s not the problem. I’m willing to bet my soul that you…that you’re afraid to love.”

 

Yami was silent. Neither of them moved an inch. Bakura stared confidently into Yami’s eyes, which were large and doubtful.

 

“I’m not afraid,” Yami said stubbornly after a moment.

 

Bakura smirked lightly. “I don’t believe you. Everyone’s afraid to love, of love. They do it anyway, but they’re scared. They fear the pain of it, what happens afterwards. Because not every couple lives ‘happily ever after’.” His eyes darkened and his voice became slightly softer. “I fear it too, Yami. But I believe it’s all worth it. All that fearing, all the pain… I think it would be worth it if I could have someone.” His voice wavered as he spoke.

 

“I thought you had a lover already.”

 

Bakura regained his posture quickly. “I never said that.” He closed his eyes for a second. “I only said that I love someone. Not that they loved me back.”

 

“Who wouldn’t love you?”

 

Bakura stared, mouth half open in astonishment. “…The one that I love. The only person in the entire world that I feel for with such a passion.”

 

Yami didn’t reply. Instead, he turned away, averting his eyes from Bakura’s piercing ones. Finally, “Bakura.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I want you to know…what I said to you at the hangout… I didn’t mean it.” For a reason unknown to himself, he felt guilty after he made that statement. “I didn’t mean it at all,” he said in a firmer voice, as if he were convincing himself instead of the one sitting on the swing beside him.

 

Little did he know that Bakura looked extremely hurt after his little confession.

 

“Don’t lie to me, Pharaoh.” Bakura stood up, letting his gaze linger on the other for a millisecond. “I may not be the most righteous of people, but I don’t like liars.” Then he began to walk away.

 

Before he could stop himself, Yami called, “Wait, Bakura!”

 

At hearing his name, Bakura stopped in his tracks and turned around. “Yes?” he whispered softly, half in fear and half in hope of what Yami was about to tell him.

 

“I don’t understand,” the former pharaoh said helplessly, standing up as well. A look of sympathy appeared upon the thief’s face after a moment.

 

“You will soon, Yami. I know you will. Just remember,” his voice cracked a little, “to come to me when you do figure it out.” Bakura smiled softly, looking into Yami’s eyes with a sparkle of faith in his own. “And I…I hope you come soon.”

 

Then he left.

 

Yami watched him go with sorrowful eyes. “Bakura?” he called with the expression of a small child who couldn’t find his parents at the supermarket. “Come back, Bakura…I…I don’t understand what you’re trying to tell me…”

 

~

 

Ring, ring! Ring, ring!

 

Yuugi yawned and picked up the phone before it woke his mother and grandfather up. “What?” he asked sleepily.

 

“Psst! Yuugi!”

 

The small boy yawned again. “R-R-R-Ryou?” He rubbed his eyes. “What are you doing up so late? We have school tomorrow, in case you didn’t know.”

 

“Of course I know that! But I wanted to tell you that Yami just walked into the house mumbling about your yami. And he didn’t sound mad,” Ryou reported. Yuugi bounced up and down on his small bed.

 

“Ooh, really? That’s wonderful!” He blinked to himself. “Hey, I thought you said you didn’t want to play matchmaker for them.”

 

“I don’t,” Ryou replied stubbornly. “It’s just that I thought that you would want to know.”

 

“But, Ryou~!” Yuugi whined. “We have to help them together! It’s no fun if it’s only me.” He pouted. “Please, Ryou?”

 

Ryou groaned. “I don’t want to! It never works out, anyway! What’s the point?”

 

“Come on, koi! Don’t you want to see Bakura happy?”

 

“Who said he wasn’t already happy the way he is?”

 

“Can’t you tell? He’s lonely, Ryou. He wants a love. And that love happens to be Yami.”

 

Ryou raised an eyebrow, even though his boyfriend couldn’t see it. “Are you saying that my yami has a crush on yours?”

 

Yuugi grinned. “Well, not necessarily, but if you want to think of it like that, go ahead, be my guest.”

 

“But~!”

 

“Oh, come on. Admit it! They look absolutely adorable together!”

 

Ryou’s eyebrow arched higher. “Adorable? Our yamis? How adorable can you get with a pharaoh and a thief…together?”

 

“Very adorable,” Yuugi answered stubbornly. Ryou sighed.

 

“Fine, you win. I’ll ‘help’ you. But I doubt this will work. Don’t go blaming me if everything screws up in the end and those two end up hating each other even more.”

 

“I won’t,” Yuugi promised.

 

“Okay, then.”

 

“YAY!” Yuugi paused, lowering his voice. “So, what do you think Bakura was talking about?”

 

~

 

Bakura returned to his soul room, reclining on the floor. For some reason, he felt extremely successful after that ‘talk’ with Yami. It was as if the weight on his chest had been lifted a bit…but wasn’t completely off him yet. He wasn’t sure if Yami would ever figure out that Bakura liked him… But it was worth a chance…

 

Right?

 

Well…nobody could be too sure. Yami would probably just keep telling himself that he didn’t love Bakura. The thief sighed.

 

Why did I have to fall for the Pharaoh, out of all of them? Why couldn’t it be someone else? Someone who wasn’t so damn hard to get. Especially since he hates me so much…and yet I don’t hate him. I don’t hate him at all. It’s not like I’ve given up on taking the Puzzle and opening the Dark Gate, but I don’t hate him.

 

Sure, I despised him in Egypt, and he hated me in return. But this is the 21st century, a time where we can start things all over again. Where we can forget about the past.

 

We’re both anachronisms…so why can’t we be anachronisms in love?

 

Of course, there’s still the issue of all his friends. Friends, ha! Cheerleaders is more like it. But he does care about them…And if he cares about them, he cares about their opinions. I don’t give a damn about them or what they think; why should I?

 

Another obstacle could be our lighter halves. Even if I don’t exactly care about him that much, Ryou’s opinion does matter to me. And Yuugi’s opinion no doubt matters the most to Yami. He wouldn’t be able to live with it if his omote hated me dating him. Yuugi wouldn’t do anything to prevent it…He would just be…unhappy.

 

And there’s no way that Yuugi would want me dating Yami. He hates me. Yami hates me; Yami’s his role model…so he hates me too.

 

Damn love business. The whole thing is screwed up, I tell you.

 

All I want was for him to love me. Is that so much to ask for?

 

I’m just wishing that the Pharaoh would realize what I feel for him… And for him to be mine. But no…I’m not getting anything in return. No hidden feelings; no feelings at all.

 

Everyone thinks that I’m just a big, scary thief who will do anything to get more Sennen Items. They all fear me. They think that I have no feelings. They assume that someone like me can’t love; can’t even be friends with anyone.

 

Well, fuck them all. That’s not who I am at all.

 

And I wish that Yami, of all people, would realize that…

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4: Amorous

While Bakura was lost in depressive thoughts inside his soul room, a certain spiky-haired pharaoh was dwelling on Bakura’s parting words in his soul room.

 

Yami was pondering the meaning of the thief’s last words.

 

/Yami?/

 

The former pharaoh of Ancient Egypt snapped out of his thoughts at his hikari’s call.

 

/Yami, are you in there?/

 

Yami sighed in slight annoyance. //…I’m here, Yuugi. Is something wrong?//

 

/I’m worried about you. Are you feeling okay? You’ve been kind of…off these past few weeks./

 

//I’m fine.// He could feel Yuugi sighing. But he could not understand the reason for the sigh.

 

/I don’t believe you./

 

//I’m fine, Aibou. Can’t you leave me alone now?// Yami complained, getting more than a bit irritated at his reincarnated self.

 

Yuugi ignored his plea and went on talking. /We’re going to the ski resort tomorrow. Or, kind of, today. Well, in a few hours, anyway. Are you going to come with me?/

 

//The what resort?//

 

/Ski. Remember, our school field trip?/

 

//I don’t remember that.//

 

Yuugi sighed once more. /We’re going up into the mountains. Do you want to come with us or not?/

 

//…Who’s going with you?//

 

/All the freshmen./ Yuugi replied.

 

//I meant, who?//

 

/Oh. Ryou, Jounouchi, Honda, Anzu, Kaiba…Oh, and Ryou’s going to convince Bakura to come too./ Yuugi grinned impishly, though Yami didn’t catch it through the mind link.

 

Yami almost jumped at Bakura’s name. //Bakura? Why is he going?//

 

Yuugi shrugged. /Ryou wants him to. Yami, you still haven’t answered my question./

 

The pharaoh sat in silence. Bakura’s last words played in his head for the hundredth time.

 

“You will soon, Yami. I know you will. Just remember to come to me when you do figure it out. And I…I hope that you come soon.”

 

//No, Yuugi. I won’t be coming with you.//

 

/…But, Yami~! You have to!/ Yuugi cried out, extremely disappointed and shocked. /I want you to!/

 

//Well, you must learn then, Yuugi. Not everything will go the way that you want to in Life.//

 

/I can’t believe you!/ Yuugi screamed mentally, stamping his foot. Yami shook his head and shut off the link.

 

The pharaoh stared at his colorful stone walls in deep guilt. He hadn’t meant to make Yuugi angry. He had just told his omote the truth. He didn’t want to be there with Bakura. He wasn’t ready to face the thief again. No… It was too early. He hadn’t figured everything out yet.

 

~

 

Yami sensed Yuugi waking up, though he ignored it. Apparently, Yuugi didn’t want to speak to him yet. He quickly separated from his other and ran to the guest bedroom swiftly. He landed on the bed and closed his eyes in false slumber, making sure to become invisible to anyone who didn’t know he was there. Instead of sleeping, the pharaoh listened as Yuugi ran downstairs, ate a quick breakfast, and left his home in his mother’s car.

 

When he was sure that Yuugi was gone, Yami sat up on the bed. He listened as Yuugi and Ryou spoke. So it was eavesdropping. But there was no law prohibiting it, was there? Was there?

 

“Is your yami coming?” Ryou asked. Yuugi shifted on his feet nervously.

 

“He decided not to come,” he answered.

 

Ryou blinked. “Oh. Well…that’s good.” Yuugi’s head snapped up, violet eyes clouded in confusion.

 

“Huh?”

 

Ryou shook his head sadly. “Bakura didn’t want to come. Said something about pharaohs. I didn’t catch it.”

 

Yuugi sighed. “Why are they so stubborn?”

 

Yami closed his part of the links then. This only confused him more. What are Yuugi and Ryou talking about? Why would they want me to come so much? He sighed. Why doesn’t anything make sense anymore?

 

He stood up and walked out of the room. After going downstairs, he headed for the door, but was halted by Yuugi’s grandfather in the kitchen. “Mou hitori no Yuugi?” Yami looked at him. “Are you going somewhere?” Sugoroku asked curiously. Yami nodded, but still did not speak. “All right. Have a nice time,” the old man answered awkwardly. The pharaoh nodded again, then walked out the front door.

 

It was a nice day; grey clouds hovered over the city but a refreshing light wind was about. The air itself was cool and felt refreshing on Yami’s bare arms. He found himself at the park. There seemed to be ages between when he had last been there and now, even though he knew it had been only a few hours ago.

 

He circled the area, lost in thought, and pondered everything that had just happened. He wondered vaguely why Bakura had even been at the park in the first place. The silver-haired spirit had said himself that he usually wasn’t out so late. So then why had he been there?

 

Also, he thought about why Bakura had accused him of being afraid of love. Was it just his own way of mocking the pharaoh? But then he wouldn’t have admitted his fear of it if that had been the case.

 

…Would he?

 

No…It had to be true words that the other had spoken. It couldn’t be just to poke fun at him. Bakura must’ve truly believed that Yami was frightened of love.

 

But…why? What reason did he have to believe that particular theory?

 

Yami hadn’t given anyone any impression that he feared love…. Had he?

 

And then there was the question of the identity Bakura’s mysterious love. Who was it? Who did the thief love…but didn’t love him back? For some odd reason, Yami contemplated why someone that Bakura loved wouldn’t love him back? Bakura probably loved Malik or Mariku or someone like that. There was no reason for those kind of people to not love the thief back… At least Yami didn’t think so.

 

The thing is, Yami considered most of his ‘enemies’ of the same type…of people. They all amounted to the same for him. Even if, like Malik and Pegasus, they had not opposed him for an unreasonable motive.

 

He knew it wasn’t fair, but that was just the way that his brain worked.

 

He sighed and thought long and hard about Bakura’s words…about his own words…and his own lies. But several fragments of their out-of-ordinary conversation just kept coming back to him. Bakura’s calm words. His stubborn lies.

 

“I’m not afraid.”

 

“I think it would be worth it if I could have someone.”

 

“Who wouldn’t love you?”

 

“I want you to know…what I said to you at the hangout…I didn’t mean it. I didn’t mean it at all.”

 

“Don’t lie to me, Pharaoh.”

 

“I don’t understand.”

 

“You will soon, Yami. I know you will. Just remember…come to me when you do figure it out. And I…I hope you come soon.”

 

All of it made absolutely no sense to him. But he knew that he felt guilty. Guilty~! Why should he be guilty? He had done absolutely nothing wrong! There was nothing to be guilty about. Then…why did he feel so bad? Why did he feel that he had been lying to Bakura? And why did he care?

 

So many questions jumbled themselves up in Yami’s head. It gave him a headache. He sighed. It was all too much for him. But he knew that he had to figure all of it out. Not just to get rid of his confusion or to get rid of his headache. It was the fact that Bakura seemed to believe that he would figure it out. The faith that the thief had in him was overwhelming.

 

Yami kept going back to that look that Bakura had had when he had spoken his last words. He had just looked so hopeful…so trusting…so adoring. It just made Yami all the more motivated. He had to figure all this out. He would do it.

 

He would do it for Bakura.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 5: On the Verge

Yami continued pacing around the park, even though he didn’t really realize it.

 

“Excuse me, mister,” a young voice piped up, “Are you feeling okay?”

 

Yami snapped out of his thoughts and stared at the child in wonder. He can…see me? Oh, shit! I’m not invisible! The little boy took his hand and dragged the spirit to a nearby park bench. “Now tell me what’s wrong,” he commanded. Yami blinked in puzzlement. Who does this kid think he is? “Are you mute or deaf or something?!?” The kid frowned and pinched Yami’s arm. Hard.

 

“OW!!” Yami cringed as his skin began turning an odd shade of pink. The child grinned in triumph.

 

“Good, so you’re not mute. Now tell me what’s wrong!” The boy kicked Yami in the shins. “TALK TO ME, DAMN IT!” This caused the pharaoh to raise a dignified eyebrow in response.

 

“What do you want me to say?” he asked nonchalantly, still trying to figure out Bakura’s ‘puzzle’.

 

“Tell me what’s wrong.”

 

“Who said anything was wrong?”

 

“Me. But since you won’t tell me what’s the matter with you,” the child retorted, “I wanna ask you something.” He paused and looked around, looking as if he were afraid to be overheard. “What’s love?”

 

Yami stared at him in confusion. “Wha…?” Then he paled in realization. Love…

 

“I fear it too, Yami. But I believe it’s all worth it. All that fearing, all the pain…I think it would be worth it if I could have someone.”

 

“I thought you had a lover already.”

 

“I never said that. I only said that I love someone. Not that they loved me back.”

 

“Who wouldn’t love you?”

 

“…The one that I love. The only person in the entire world that I absolutely adore with such a passion.”

 

“I want you to know…what I said to you at the hangout…I didn’t mean it.”

 

“Don’t lie to me, Pharaoh.”

 

Yami gasped in horror. Bakura thought that he, the Game King, loved him, the Thief King?!? How is that…possible? He shook his head slightly in disbelief. But…I don’t…right? But somehow, he couldn’t convince himself to believe that.

 

‘If you don’t, then why did you say what you did at the hangout?’

 

Yami groaned as the voice inside his head began speaking against him. Stupid Goddamn voice. I do not love the Thief.

 

‘Oh yeah?’

 

Yeah.

 

But…Yami’s eyes widened as realization began to dawn upon him. What Bakura said It meant that he was the one that the thief was after…. Didn’t it? Yami instantly frowned at the thought. That wasn’t possible. How could Bakura feel anything other than hate for his mortal enemy? It just couldn’t be!

 

But it had to be…There was no other answer.

 

“You will soon, Yami. I know you will. Just remember…come to me when you do figure it out. And I…I hope you come soon.”

 

Yami shook his head. I don’t believe it.

 

‘Believe it, Pharaoh!’

 

Who the hell are you, anyway?

 

Somehow, Yami felt the voice smirk. ‘A voice inside your head, you idiot.’ Yami thought it sounded a bit like Bakura himself, which was just…odd. And to him, very disturbing.

 

“So what do I do now?” the ancient spirit whispered. “I know you love me, Bakura. The game’s over. But… Now what?” His crimson eyes glazed over as he got lost in his thoughts. “What do I do now?”

 

“What are you talking about?” the little boy whined. “You still haven’t answered my question! You’re such a rude man.” He crossed his arms and pouted.

 

“KATO! GET THE HELL BACK HERE!”

 

Both Yami and the child turned to the speaker. A sweaty, very pissed off looking Malik ran up to them, the calm and ever quiet Rishid trailing a foot or two behind him.

 

“Hi, Malik-san,” the boy, apparently Kato, said sweetly whilst smiling innocently, “What’s up?” Malik glared at the child.

 

“Time to go home,” the blonde hissed under his breath. Kato shook his head.

 

“No.”

 

Yami watched as they continued to bicker. “Uh…Malik? Who is this?”

 

Malik blinked, then looked at his former enemy. “Oh…hi…Yami no Yuugi. This is Kato, the son of the museum owner. Isis was asked to baby-sit him for today. Then she ditched and left me with this little nightmare,” he explained, shooting the little boy a quick glare. “Rishid’s helping me,” he added.

 

Yami nodded curtly at Malik’s shadow, acknowledging his presence respectfully. Rishid bowed slightly, his green eyes ever watchful.

 

“Well,” Yami smiled. “Thank you, Malik and,” he frowned, “Kato.” Malik tilted his head to the side, giving the pharaoh a puzzled look.

 

“What for?”

 

“For…” Yami’s eyes sparkled, “for helping me realize something very important.” And with that, he stood up and walked away.

 

Malik blinked in absolute confusion. “Huh?”

 

~

 

Yami headed toward the Bakura residence, where he hoped the thief to be. He walked onto the doorstep, pausing slightly. What would he say? He fingered the chain around his neck and laid a hand on the Puzzle. It was still cold. Yuugi hadn’t forgiven him yet.

 

The former pharaoh tentatively reached for the doorbell…and rang it.

 

He stood there for a few seconds, though to him, it seemed as if he had waited for eternity. The person on the other side of the door fumbled with the lock and then opened the door a crack. Then the door opened fully. There Bakura stood, dressed in his usual casual clothes. Yami had never thought much about how good the fellow spirit looked in those tight jeans. He was a bit disturbed by the fact that he was now noticing it.

 

“Yami…!” Bakura exclaimed, shocked.

 

Suddenly, Yami felt very awkward and shy. “Good morning, Bakura,” he greeted quietly. “You asked me to come?”

 

Bakura blushed. “You…you already…Wow…”

 

“May…may I come in?” Yami asked hesitantly. Bakura nodded quickly, stepping aside to let his guest in. After Yami entered the house, the thief closed and locked the door. Then he led the pharaoh into the kitchen.

 

“Um…Sit down. I’ll fix us something to drink. What would you like?” Bakura questioned nervously.

 

“Just water will be fine, thank you.” Yami answered politely, still not positive about how to act around the other. Bakura nodded and quickly poured Yami a glass of water. He grabbed a bottle of chilled frappuccino from the refrigerator and sat down at the kitchen counter. He gestured for Yami to sit next to him. The other spirit complied.

 

“So…” Bakura started, fidgeting nervously. “Do you understand now?”

 

Yami said solemnly, “I-I believe I do.” He drank his water slowly, flickering curious eyes at his supposed enemy.

 

Bakura leaned his elbow on the counter and his head on his palm. He gazed at Yami with dreamy russet eyes, a small smile on his face. “What do you think?”

 

Yami blinked at the straightforward question as well as the look on the other’s face. “What do I think? I think…I think we could give it a try.” The pharaoh liked his choice of words, as they made Bakura turn pink and falter for a split second.

 

“Yami?” the silver-haired thief choked out, trying desperately to make his cheeks stop burning.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Thanks,” Bakura said sincerely, before he leaned forward and brought the clueless spirit closer to him. “You can send me to the Shadow Realm after this, for all I care,” he muttered. Then he pressed his lips against Yami, their mouths meeting in a passionate and fiery first kiss.

 

Yami was the sanctuary that Bakura had been searching for since the beginning of time. He savored the wondrous flavor of the pharaoh. The monarch’s mouth was ambrosia to him, his lips equivalent to the evening sunset over the warm desert sands. Yami was the one. He was the one that satisfied the empty void in the tomb robber. The one that filled the blank spot in Bakura’s heart…the space that had been reserved for someone special.

 

And that someone was Yami.

 

Once he got over the shock of Bakura kissing him, and so passionately too, Yami’s mouth began to reply. He was so surprised at the thief’s gentleness that he gave entrance to Bakura as soon as it was requested. Yami loved the taste of the other, so cold, so untouched, yet so warm and experienced at the same time. He was the moonlight reflecting on the ocean and the stars radiating in the night sky.

 

Yami suddenly felt so full, as if all his jealousies had been erased. He no longer felt as if nobody loved him; that nobody would ever love him.

 

Because he now knew that Bakura would.

 

The pharaoh gingerly brought the other closer to him. Bakura didn’t complain but instead held the other’s small body against him.

 

When Bakura finally began to withdraw, he paused to lick Yami’s lips possessively before completely letting go. The pharaoh was delectable and he wanted to relish as much of him as he could. Bakura shyly turned away and stared at his coffee. Yami slowly opened his eyes as Bakura’s lips departed, his cheeks stained bright red with embarrassment, euphoria, satisfaction, and most of all…adoration.

 

Yami’s cerise eyes shone with elation. “Wow…” he said, though it sounded more like he was sighing in happiness. His eyes gazed at Bakura and sparkled in admiration as he lightly touched his own lips. It was as if he was checking to see if it had been a dream or reality. “Oh…wow.”

 

Bakura turned even pinker during the awkward, slightly uncomfortable silence. “Well…are you going to send me to the Shadow Realm now? I’m finished,” he said softly, breaking the silence. He sounded tiny bit disappointed that this wonderful ‘bond’ would end. His fingers gently curled into slight fists. His breaths became heavy and he cast his eyes down.

 

Yami slowly and carefully uncurled Bakura’s left fingers with his right hand, intertwining them with his own. Bakura met Yami’s hopeful eyes, afraid of what the pharaoh would say.

 

“You’re wonderful, Bakura,” Yami murmured softly, a small smile spreading across his face. His crimson eyes twinkled. “That was…the best kiss I’ve ever…had…in my life. It was just…” Yami stumbled over his words as he tried to figure out how to express what he was feeling.

 

“Perfect?” Bakura supplied helpfully. Yami nodded enthusiastically and Bakura couldn’t help but think of how cute he looked at the moment.

 

“I’m not going to send you to the Shadow Realm,” the pharaoh declared suddenly. “You’re too good of a kisser to waste,” he added. Bakura grinned and squeezed his hand.

 

“Thank you. It means a lot to me.”

 

Yami closed his eyes and then opened them again, looking at the tabletop. “And maybe, in time, I can even learn to love you…” He flickered his eyes up to the other spirit hopefully. “Just as much as you love me.” The phrase was partly whispered as Yami leaned against the thief affectionately.

 

Bakura smiled and kissed Yami on the forehead gently, then laid his head on the pharaoh’s. “I hope that you can,” he answered, grinning, “because it would be a shame if your great kissing talents would have to be wasted on someone else.”

 

Yami laughed. Maybe learning to love Bakura won’t be as hard as I had thought…

 

 

 

Chapter 6: En Masse

Ryou and Yuugi woke up from their deep slumber on the bumpy bus with a jolt. They blinked at each other in confusion. “Did you just feel something?” Ryou asked sleepily. Yuugi nodded slowly, wide-eyed.

 

“Something,” he frowned, “from the Puzzle?” Ryou nodded in agreement.

 

“The Ring, too,” he informed his boyfriend. He looked at the Sennen Ring in sudden wonderment. “Do you think that this has something to do with…our darker sides?” He put emphasis on the last words. Yuugi grinned impishly.

 

“Maybe…”

 

“Can you contact him?” Ryou paused. “Yami no Yuugi, I mean. Yami blocked our link this morning.”

 

Yuugi hesitated. “Umm…I kinda got mad at him after he came home yesterday night…or morning, actually, but yeah…I blocked the link.”

 

Ryou tilted his head to one side. “Why did you get mad at him?” he asked in puzzlement. Yuugi blushed in embarrassment.

 

“Well…He wouldn’t come with me on this trip,” he admitted shamefully. Ryou shook his head.

 

“That’s no reason to get mad at him! And definitely not to close off your mind link~!” Ryou exclaimed, scolding the other. Yuugi bowed his head.

 

“I know…But I just wanted them together so badly~!” Ryou wrapped his arm around the other.

 

“We’ll get more chances in the futures, Yuugi. I promise we will.”

 

~

 

The two spirits sat on the couch in Ryou’s living room. A cartoon was playing on the TV and Bakura’s eyes were locked on it. Yami just leaned against the other and stared at him while playing with his snow-colored hair. The smallest of smiles was on Bakura’s face, though Yami looked solemn. He braided a lock of the thief’s hair, chuckling quietly, then released it and continued to play with it.

 

“What are we going to say when Ryou and Yuugi get back?” Bakura asked quietly, trying not ruining their ‘moment’. Yami frowned, but continued twirling a strand of the other spirit’s hair between his fingers.

 

“Nothing.”

 

Bakura blinked. “Nothing?”

 

“They’ll never approve,” Yami said. “Or at least Yuugi won’t. I don’t think Ryou would have a problem, but I really don’t know. And then there’s the issue of all…the others.”

 

“Your friends,” Bakura filled in for him, something unrecognizable in his voice. Yami nodded.

 

“My friends.”

 

“Yeah, they hate me, don’t they?” Bakura sighed…in depression? Yami smiled a little bit, despite the situation.

 

“I don’t think they hate you. They just…dislike you.”

 

Bakura snorted. “Oh, and that’s so much better. No, they do hate me. It’s easy to tell. That’s why they distance themselves from Ryou. Because they think that he’s a power-hungry maniac. They think that he’s like me. Have you ever noticed how only Yuugi is friendly to him?”

 

“…Bakura, Ryou is Yuugi’s boyfriend. Of course he’s friendly to him.”

 

Bakura rolled his eyes. “I know that, but I’m just pointing out that they despise my very existence. Even though I haven’t really done that much to them… They’ll never accept…us. I think that it’d be best to keep this a secret, Yami, at least from them. Yuugi and Ryou will probably find out, anyway.” Yami frowned. Bakura kissed him on the forehead. “I know you don’t like the idea, but would you like them to break us up?”

 

“But if they never know, then I would still have dislike you in public! And…” Yami looked into Bakura’s eyes. “I don’t want to have to do that…”

 

Bakura nodded, sighing. “I know what you mean, but this is the way that it has to be.”

 

Yami echoed the sigh, leaning back into the couch. “Why did we have to hate each other in the first place?”

 

Bakura smiled sadly, brushing a golden bang out of Yami’s face. “I never hated you, Yami…”

 

~

 

A week had passed by and the hikaris (along with their friends) had returned from their trip to the mountains. This disappointed Bakura and Yami greatly, since they now had to sneak out in order to see each other. They also had to pretend to hate each other in public, though the two of them had a fun time thinking up of amusing insults to toss at the other.

 

Bakura climbed silently into the Mutou guestroom from one of the windows. Yami was sitting on the large bed, soulful crimson eyes staring at the wall in front of him. He suddenly turned around as Bakura shut the window. “Bakura!” he exclaimed. The thief whipped around, a finger against his lips to signal that Yami should keep it down.

 

“So much for surprising you,” Bakura grumbled, taking a seat next to Yami on the bed. He kissed the other. “How are you?”

 

“Bored,” Yami replied dully. Bakura grinned and pushed the other down on the bed. He straddled Yami’s waist, a wanton look in his eyes.

 

“I can fix that.”

 

Yami’s grin mirrored Bakura’s. “Can you?” he challenged, a mischievous spark lighting those red eyes. The former tomb robber growled and pressed his lips to his lover. Yami responded eagerly, letting Bakura slip his tongue into the pharaoh’s mouth. The pair of tongues tangled in a heated kiss, fighting for dominance.

 

The two spirits let go of each other’s mouth, gasping for air. If not for the need to breathe, that kiss would’ve probably gone on forever. “Still bored, my luscious little pharaoh?” Bakura asked seductively. Yami stared up at him with glazed eyes.

 

“As a matter of fact, yes…Maybe you should try a little harder, Th—”

 

He was cut off as Bakura latched his mouth to Yami’s (for once) bare neck. There he proceeded to suck on the smooth skin, Yami making small noises of appreciation. While his mouth was busy, Bakura’s hands fumbled with Yami’s shirt and managed to get it off. He threw it to the side, the article of clothing landing on the floor.

 

He let go of Yami’s neck, eyeing his work appreciatively. The thief laid a quick kiss on the spot. “There…I’ve marked you,” he whispered in a heavy voice. In reply, Yami flipped them over so that now he was over the tomb robber. He touched the mark on his neck lightly.

 

“So you have.”

 

The pharaoh removed Bakura’s shirt quickly and let his hands roam all over the other’s torso. Bakura closed his eyes and arched upward at the light, gentle touch.

 

There was a knock on the locked door. “Yami, are you in there?” called Yuugi’s voice.

 

Bakura’s eyes snapped open and Yami’s hands froze on Bakura’s chest.

 

“Yami?”

 

Yami began to get off of Bakura. “Go,” he whispered hurriedly, slipping on his shirt, “now.” Bakura nodded quickly and jumped off the bed. He fumbled with the window for a moment (while Yami watched with wide, horrified eyes) and then slid it open. Then he proceeded in climbing out with no shirt on.

 

Noticing that, Yami quickly kicked Bakura’s shirt under the bed and smoothed out the covers of the bed. He ran to the door, opening it slightly. He found a sleepy Yuugi at the doorway.

 

“Yuugi? What do you want?” he asked, attempting to sound confused. He hoped that he was doing a good job of it. It wouldn’t do for Yuugi to get suspicious…

 

Yuugi looked up at his dark half. “What’s going on? I heard some noise coming from this room. Were you sleeping in here? Okaasan came and woke me up, telling me that someone was in the guestroom.”

 

Yami shifted uncomfortably, racking his head for valid excuses. “Umm…I was just sleeping. I’m sorry if I woke your mother up,” he said lamely. Yuugi raised an eyebrow, clearly not believing him.

 

“What was making the noise?”

 

“…I was dreaming.”

 

“About what?”

 

Yami blushed. “Umm…Do you really want to know?” Yuugi caught the red tinge on his cheeks. The duelist smirked uncharacteristically.

 

“Okay, about who?”

 

“YUUGI!!”

 

“Jeez, keep it down. Okay, okay, so you don’t want to tell me.” He leaned in closer. “Was he good?”

 

Yami turned bright red. Yuugi laughed. “Okay, I’ll go to sleep now. Good night!” The high school sophomore bounded down the hall into his room. The pharaoh shut the door and slumped against it tiredly.

 

That was close. Way too close.

 

 

 

Chapter 7: Tell Me Why

It’s funny. A month or so ago, I was being hated by Yami. We were ‘enemies’. Now, he’s my lover.

 

I find that slightly amusing.

 

It all happened so fast~… Yami processed my hint so much faster than I had originally predicted…He got me so nervous when I found him on my doorstep. Not that I’m sad or anything, just a little surprised at how fast we got together. I wonder how he figured out everything, anyway…

 

Yet, in public, we’re still ‘hating’ each other. The other day, Yami-love called me a sexy-assed, psychotic masochist. I had practically fallen over in laughter, but I luckily prevented that from happening. Instead, I just called him an ugly, egotistical bastard who really needed a good screw.

 

So we have fun insulting each other. Yuugi, Ryou, and the others give us the weirdest looks, but in my opinion, that’s the most amusing part.

 

~

 

“Yuugi~!”

 

Yuugi stuck his head outside his door. “Hai, okaasan?”

 

“Go clean your room~!” his mother yelled.

 

Yuugi blinked in confusion. “But…my room is already clean!” he protested. She hesitated.

 

“Go clean the guestroom, then!”

 

“But that’s already clean too!!!” he shouted back. She made a frustrated noise.

 

“Just go clean something~!”

 

Yuugi groaned, but stepped out of his room anyway. He mumbled incoherent words underneath his breath and walked into the guestroom. He looked around. The room was practically the same as always: neat, organized, and disturbingly blue. Yuugi shook his head. Everything in the room was blue. His okaasan had insisted that it looked perfect, but Sugoroku and Yuugi had always told her that it was just…blinding.

 

He frowned. How was he supposed to clean a room that was already clean? He sighed and flopped backwards onto the bed. With his eyes, he began to trace the words ‘I love Ryou’ on the blank, white ceiling. A smile rose upon his face at the thought of his beloved boyfriend.

 

He was so lost in his thoughts that he began to drift off…

 

~

 

Yuugi awoke painfully as he landed on the ground.  He let out a groan of pain when he tried to get up.

 

Apparently, he had fallen off the bed in his sleep.

 

He frowned.

 

Funny thing was, he had been dreaming that he and Ryou were sitting atop a cloud. Suddenly, Ryou had turned to him and informed him that they would be breaking up. In his shock, Yuugi had fallen off the cloud…

 

And had landed on the carpeted floor of the guestroom.

 

What a wonderful way to wake up.

 

The small freshman rubbed his eyes. Why did I have that dream? It had to mean something… His eyes widened. Is Ryou going to break up with me? No! It can’t be…Ryou loves me…as much as I love him. It was just a bad dream. ...Right?

 

He turned to the side, curling into a small ball. The floor actually wasn’t that bad…It made a nice, fluffy bed. He closed his eyes, ready to go back to sleep until okaasan found him there…

 

Yuugi’s eyes flickered open.

 

There was something under the bed…something weirdly shaped. He squinted, trying to guess what it was before having to get it out. What could be under the bed in the guestroom? Barely anyone ever came in here… The Mutous didn’t have people over very often and his okaasan didn’t like having things under beds. She said that it was “a dirty place to put one’s belongings”.

 

As Yuugi had no idea what the mysterious object was, he tentatively reached under the bed to grasp it. Damn, I can’t reach it. He sighed and got up, walking to the other side of the bed and kneeling down to remove it from its place. He frowned. It felt like…cloth?

 

He pulled it out and stared at the shirt hanging from his hand.

 

It looked like one of…Ryou’s?

 

But that made no sense. Why would Ryou’s shirt be under the bed of the guestroom? What was it doing there? Why on earth would someone take Ryou’s shirt and stuff it under the bed…of the guestroom?!? It made absolutely no sense. Unless…

 

Yuugi’s eyes widened. He recalled a night, about a month ago, when he had heard those…sounds coming from…this very room. He had heard some whispering before Yami had opened the door. He had pretended that he hadn’t heard it, just because he thought that it was really none of his business what Yami was doing.

 

But now, he had discovered Ryou’s shirt underneath the bed. Could…could Yami have been in this room with Ryou that night? Yuugi glanced at the shirt. It was coated in dust. Just the right amount of dust that something that had been under the bed for a month should have.

 

Yuugi stared at the shirt in horror.

 

Was Ryou cheating on him? And with his very own yami?

 

He himself found that extremely unlikely, but he had to admit that there was no better explanation. Why else would Ryou’s shirt be there? It had to have been taken off…

 

He climbed onto the bed and lay down. But…why would Ryou ever betray him? And with Yami? The boy shook his head at his stupidity. Of course Ryou would want Yami… Yuugi’s dark side was just so much better than Yuugi himself in so many ways. Obviously, Ryou would prefer Yami to Yuugi…He was more attractive, stronger both physically and mentally, taller, more dominant…and less childish.

 

No…Ryou can’t be cheating on me. Never. It…Ryou…He’s just not the kind of person to do that! I mean, Ryou is…so sweet and caring. And…he loves…me. Right?

 

The more he thought about it, the madder he became at Yami. How dare he steal his own omote’s beloved? That was completely against all rules of…something~! It was twisted and wrong. How could Yami do that to him?

 

How could part of himself hurt him so much?

 

Yuugi closed his eyes, curling into a ball again. He would wait. He wouldn’t confront Ryou immediately… He wanted to make sure that his suspicions were correct. Otherwise, he would just make a fool of himself.

 

~

 

Yami sat on one of the many sets of stairs in his soul room, lost in thought. Thoughts of Bakura…the one who was now his lover. But somehow, the relationship didn’t feel right. He hated to admit it, but he didn’t feel that…that special connection. Maybe…Maybe what he felt for Bakura was only lust.

 

He closed his eyes. He hated the thought of that; he knew Bakura loved him and he truly did want to feel the same…

 

But he didn’t.

 

There was nothing wrong with Bakura. He was perfectly a good lover, a good person at heart. Sure, he may have been a tomb robber in the past; he may have wanted to kill Yami in the past… He may be crazy and a megalomaniac at times… But he was a good person.

 

Yami shook his head. It made no sense. If he thought Bakura was a good person, then what was wrong? Why didn’t he feel that…bond, that mandatory bond that was needed for a successful relationship?

 

Why didn’t he feel as though he loved Bakura?

 

He sighed. He was trying to… He had told the thief that he would try to make it work…and he was trying. But…

 

It just wasn’t happening.

 

~

 

“So, what did you want to talk to me about?” Yuugi asked cheerfully. Or at least his demeanor seemed cheerful. Inside, he was actually quite suspicious. This was it… Ryou fidgeted nervously, pale cheeks turning pink in embarrassment.

 

“Umm…I…” The silver-haired hikari sighed. Yuugi tilted his head to the side, silently encouraging his boyfriend to go on with whatever he had to say, though Yuugi was sure that whatever Ryou had to say was something that he didn’t want to hear. “I’m breaking up with you.”

 

Ryou turned away, not wanting to see what pain Yuugi would be in. He had tried to convince himself that this was for the better, but he didn’t want to hurt Yuugi. Surprisingly, Yuugi said nothing; made no sound. The smaller one laid a gentle hand on Ryou’s shoulder. “Don’t turn away, Ryou…” Yuugi said softly. Ryou’s eyes filled with tears and he turned back to face Yuugi.

 

“I…I’m sorry, Yuugi. It’s just that…”

 

“Are you dating Yami?” Yuugi asked bluntly. Ryou blinked in confusion.

 

“What?”

 

“Are. You. With. My. Yami,” Yuugi managed to say without gritting his teeth. He did suddenly sound a bit hostile, though. It was Ryou’s turn to tilt his head to the side. Tender brown eyes stared at Yuugi in disbelief.

 

“Of course not. Why would I ever do that? Why would you ever think that I would…cheat on you?”

 

“Maybe because I found your shirt under the bed in my guestroom? And maybe because I had previously heard Yami in there…making noises that I don’t want to talk about?” Yuugi said sarcastically, something he didn’t do often.

 

Ryou shook his head, locks of silver flying around his head. “I don’t understand, Yuugi. I haven’t been to your guestroom since…ever.”

 

“Don’t lie to me.”

 

“I’m not lying!”

 

“Then explain the shirt to me.”

 

Ryou faltered. “I…I don’t know how my shirt could have gotten there.”

 

“I’m not falling for your lies this time, Ryou. Just admit it. It’s not like I’m going to hurt you or anything. I just want to know why you’re breaking up with me. I want to have my suspicions confirmed so I don’t have to live like this, damn it!”

It’s funny. A month or so ago, I was being hated by Yami. We were ‘enemies’. Now, he’s my lover.

 

I find that slightly amusing.

 

It all happened so fast~… Yami processed my hint so much faster than I had originally predicted…He got me so nervous when I found him on my doorstep. Not that I’m sad or anything, just a little surprised at how fast we got together. I wonder how he figured out everything, anyway…

 

Yet, in public, we’re still ‘hating’ each other. The other day, Yami-love called me a sexy-assed, psychotic masochist. I had practically fallen over in laughter, but I luckily prevented that from happening. Instead, I just called him an ugly, egotistical bastard who really needed a good screw.

 

So we have fun insulting each other. Yuugi, Ryou, and the others give us the weirdest looks, but in my opinion, that’s the most amusing part.

 

~

 

“Yuugi~!”

 

Yuugi stuck his head outside his door. “Hai, okaasan?”

 

“Go clean your room~!” his mother yelled.

 

Yuugi blinked in confusion. “But…my room is already clean!” he protested. She hesitated.

 

“Go clean the guestroom, then!”

 

“But that’s already clean too!!!” he shouted back. She made a frustrated noise.

 

“Just go clean something~!”

 

Yuugi groaned, but stepped out of his room anyway. He mumbled incoherent words underneath his breath and walked into the guestroom. He looked around. The room was practically the same as always: neat, organized, and disturbingly blue. Yuugi shook his head. Everything in the room was blue. His okaasan had insisted that it looked perfect, but Sugoroku and Yuugi had always told her that it was just…blinding.

 

He frowned. How was he supposed to clean a room that was already clean? He sighed and flopped backwards onto the bed. With his eyes, he began to trace the words ‘I love Ryou’ on the blank, white ceiling. A smile rose upon his face at the thought of his beloved boyfriend.

 

He was so lost in his thoughts that he began to drift off…

 

~

 

Yuugi awoke painfully as he landed on the ground.  He let out a groan of pain when he tried to get up.

 

Apparently, he had fallen off the bed in his sleep.

 

He frowned.

 

Funny thing was, he had been dreaming that he and Ryou were sitting atop a cloud. Suddenly, Ryou had turned to him and informed him that they would be breaking up. In his shock, Yuugi had fallen off the cloud…

 

And had landed on the carpeted floor of the guestroom.

 

What a wonderful way to wake up.

 

The small freshman rubbed his eyes. Why did I have that dream? It had to mean something… His eyes widened. Is Ryou going to break up with me? No! It can’t be…Ryou loves me…as much as I love him. It was just a bad dream. ...Right?

 

He turned to the side, curling into a small ball. The floor actually wasn’t that bad…It made a nice, fluffy bed. He closed his eyes, ready to go back to sleep until okaasan found him there…

 

Yuugi’s eyes flickered open.

 

There was something under the bed…something weirdly shaped. He squinted, trying to guess what it was before having to get it out. What could be under the bed in the guestroom? Barely anyone ever came in here… The Mutous didn’t have people over very often and his okaasan didn’t like having things under beds. She said that it was “a dirty place to put one’s belongings”.

 

As Yuugi had no idea what the mysterious object was, he tentatively reached under the bed to grasp it. Damn, I can’t reach it. He sighed and got up, walking to the other side of the bed and kneeling down to remove it from its place. He frowned. It felt like…cloth?

 

He pulled it out and stared at the shirt hanging from his hand.

 

It looked like one of…Ryou’s?

 

But that made no sense. Why would Ryou’s shirt be under the bed of the guestroom? What was it doing there? Why on earth would someone take Ryou’s shirt and stuff it under the bed…of the guestroom?!? It made absolutely no sense. Unless…

 

Yuugi’s eyes widened. He recalled a night, about a month ago, when he had heard those…sounds coming from…this very room. He had heard some whispering before Yami had opened the door. He had pretended that he hadn’t heard it, just because he thought that it was really none of his business what Yami was doing.

 

But now, he had discovered Ryou’s shirt underneath the bed. Could…could Yami have been in this room with Ryou that night? Yuugi glanced at the shirt. It was coated in dust. Just the right amount of dust that something that had been under the bed for a month should have.

 

Yuugi stared at the shirt in horror.

 

Was Ryou cheating on him? And with his very own yami?

 

He himself found that extremely unlikely, but he had to admit that there was no better explanation. Why else would Ryou’s shirt be there? It had to have been taken off…

 

He climbed onto the bed and lay down. But…why would Ryou ever betray him? And with Yami? The boy shook his head at his stupidity. Of course Ryou would want Yami… Yuugi’s dark side was just so much better than Yuugi himself in so many ways. Obviously, Ryou would prefer Yami to Yuugi…He was more attractive, stronger both physically and mentally, taller, more dominant…and less childish.

 

No…Ryou can’t be cheating on me. Never. It…Ryou…He’s just not the kind of person to do that! I mean, Ryou is…so sweet and caring. And…he loves…me. Right?

 

The more he thought about it, the madder he became at Yami. How dare he steal his own omote’s beloved? That was completely against all rules of…something~! It was twisted and wrong. How could Yami do that to him?

 

How could part of himself hurt him so much?

 

Yuugi closed his eyes, curling into a ball again. He would wait. He wouldn’t confront Ryou immediately… He wanted to make sure that his suspicions were correct. Otherwise, he would just make a fool of himself.

 

~

 

Yami sat on one of the many sets of stairs in his soul room, lost in thought. Thoughts of Bakura…the one who was now his lover. But somehow, the relationship didn’t feel right. He hated to admit it, but he didn’t feel that…that special connection. Maybe…Maybe what he felt for Bakura was only lust.

 

He closed his eyes. He hated the thought of that; he knew Bakura loved him and he truly did want to feel the same…

 

But he didn’t.

 

There was nothing wrong with Bakura. He was perfectly a good lover, a good person at heart. Sure, he may have been a tomb robber in the past; he may have wanted to kill Yami in the past… He may be crazy and a megalomaniac at times… But he was a good person.

 

Yami shook his head. It made no sense. If he thought Bakura was a good person, then what was wrong? Why didn’t he feel that…bond, that mandatory bond that was needed for a successful relationship?

 

Why didn’t he feel as though he loved Bakura?

 

He sighed. He was trying to… He had told the thief that he would try to make it work…and he was trying. But…

 

It just wasn’t happening.

 

~

 

“So, what did you want to talk to me about?” Yuugi asked cheerfully. Or at least his demeanor seemed cheerful. Inside, he was actually quite suspicious. This was it… Ryou fidgeted nervously, pale cheeks turning pink in embarrassment.

 

“Umm…I…” The silver-haired hikari sighed. Yuugi tilted his head to the side, silently encouraging his boyfriend to go on with whatever he had to say, though Yuugi was sure that whatever Ryou had to say was something that he didn’t want to hear. “I’m breaking up with you.”

 

Ryou turned away, not wanting to see what pain Yuugi would be in. He had tried to convince himself that this was for the better, but he didn’t want to hurt Yuugi. Surprisingly, Yuugi said nothing; made no sound. The smaller one laid a gentle hand on Ryou’s shoulder. “Don’t turn away, Ryou…” Yuugi said softly. Ryou’s eyes filled with tears and he turned back to face Yuugi.

 

“I…I’m sorry, Yuugi. It’s just that…”

 

“Are you dating Yami?” Yuugi asked bluntly. Ryou blinked in confusion.

 

“What?”

 

“Are. You. With. My. Yami,” Yuugi managed to say without gritting his teeth. He did suddenly sound a bit hostile, though. It was Ryou’s turn to tilt his head to the side. Tender brown eyes stared at Yuugi in disbelief.

 

“Of course not. Why would I ever do that? Why would you ever think that I would…cheat on you?”

 

“Maybe because I found your shirt under the bed in my guestroom? And maybe because I had previously heard Yami in there…making noises that I don’t want to talk about?” Yuugi said sarcastically, something he didn’t do often.

 

Ryou shook his head, locks of silver flying around his head. “I don’t understand, Yuugi. I haven’t been to your guestroom since…ever.”

 

“Don’t lie to me.”

 

“I’m not lying!”

 

“Then explain the shirt to me.”

 

Ryou faltered. “I…I don’t know how my shirt could have gotten there.”

 

“I’m not falling for your lies this time, Ryou. Just admit it. It’s not like I’m going to hurt you or anything. I just want to know why you’re breaking up with me. I want to have my suspicions confirmed so I don’t have to live like this, damn it!”

 

“I’m not lying, Yuugi. But you want to know why I’m breaking up with you? It’s because…It’s because I don’t think I love you any more.”

 

 

 

TBC