Worthy of You

By: Amphitrite (papervanity@gmail.com)

Rated: PG-13

Pairing: Bakura/Yami

Summary: Bakura is yearning for Yami's love, trying to convince himself that he doesn't deserve it. Meanwhile, Yami's mind is in a mess after his breakup with Yuugi. But neither has any idea what Fate has in store for them.



 

 


 

Chapter 1: Loneliness

Bakura gazed longingly out the window of Ryou’s room.

 

Yami? Are you coming to bed?” came a soft voice from the other side of the room. Bakura turned and stared at his light with emotionless brown eyes. He shook his head.

 

“I can’t sleep.” he replied. Ryou looked concernedly at him.

 

Daijoubu? [Are you all right?]”

 

Bakura sighed. “Yes. If you’ll please excuse me, I think I’ll go for a walk in the park.” Ryou nodded, understanding.

 

“Okay…But make sure you don’t get into any trouble!” Bakura rolled his eyes, but nodded all the same.

 

G’night, Aibou.” He said, patting Ryou’s hair shyly before striding out into the dark night.”

 

“Good night, Yami.” Ryou whispered.

 

***

 

Bakura sighed and sat down on a stone bench in the park. Lately, he had just been lonely. Okay, so he was used to loneliness. What else do you expect from someone who had been trapped in a Sennen item for three thousand years? But recently…it just seemed like everyone he knew was drifting away from him. Of course, they were only his hikari’s friends…but still.

 

Jou and Seto were together. Everyone had accepted that, though they were still a bit shocked. He had to admit, though, that it was pretty damn amusing to watch the two bicker for two minutes and start making out crazily afterwards.

 

Yami and Yuugi had always been together…

 

And Ryou…his sweet, innocent light…was with Malik. Malik, of all people. The group had accepted this as well. Bakura didn’t like this. There was nothing wrong with Malik or Mariku, but it just…he was just…

 

Okay. He was jealous. He hated to admit it, but he was. Not of Ryou or Malik specifically…just jealous of everyone in general. Jealous that everyone seemed to have found their soul mates.

 

The former thief’s thoughts were distracted at the sound of approaching footsteps. Yami appeared from behind the shadows of the bushes.

 

“What are you doing here?” Bakura asked, angry that his private space had been intruded. Especially by the Pharaoh.

 

“I should ask you the same question.” he replied smugly.

 

“I came here to think.” Bakura answered, crossing his arms.

 

“Well, I come here every night.” Yami shot back crossly. Bakura bit his upper lip. Uhm…yeah…his lips…wait! What the hell am I thinking? Yami mentally slapped himself for thinking such twisted thoughts.

 

“Fine!” Bakura growled angrily and sat down on the edge of the stone bench. Yami took a seat as far from Bakura as he could. They sat in silence.

 

Oh joy. Now Mr. I Am So Great is here. Stupid pharaoh. Bakura thought bitterly. Though he does look kind of cute when he’s mad…No! I can’t fall for him again. Not EVER.

 

**Flashback**

 

“We can’t keep seeing each other secretly!” Yami said, frowning.

 

“Why not?” Bakura retorted.

 

“…If somebody finds out…”

 

“Stop with the foreshadowing! Why must you always be so pessimistic?”

 

“But what would they say if they found out?”

 

“Does it matter what other people think?” Bakura practically yelled. The current pharaoh bit his lip and looked at the ground ashamedly.

 

“It matters to me.”

 

**End Flashback**

 

Bakura stared at his hands. A small dark red cut ran across his wrist. That was his life long reminder of the time when Yami had given up on him and he had tried to kill himself…

 

He scooted over on the stone bench until he was sitting right next to the spiky-haired pharaoh. Yami didn’t realized at first and when he did, he looked at the former tomb robber and raised an eyebrow.

 

“I’m…cold.” Bakura said. Oh Ra, that was the lamest excuse ever… But he didn’t need to fake a shiver. It had been many, _many_ years since he had had the chance to be this close to his supposed enemy. Bakura snuggled tightly next to the former pharaoh. What came as a shock was that Yami didn’t shove him off.

 

***

 

Ryou frowned. Something was different with his yami. He had been distancing himself lately…always going for walks… This difference was something that he didn’t like. It had only happened recently, he noted. He forced himself to think. What had happened recently that had made Bakura change the way he acted?

 

Well, Jou and Seto had gotten together…and so had he and Malik…then there was the whole cookie issue…wait!

 

Malik and me! It must have been! Yami probably fell left out…Ryou’s face fell. He didn’t like anyone to be left out, since he had experienced enough of that in his childhood. He picked up the phone by his bed and quickly dialed Yuugi’s number.

 

“Hello?” a voice answered, yawning. Ryou hesitated.

 

Yuugi? Did I wake you?”

 

Uhh…yeah. Is that you, Ryou-kun?”

 

“Yeah, it’s me. Sorry about waking you up.”

 

“It’s okay. I’m a light sleeper.”

 

Yuugi…I need your help. How do you cheer up someone who feels left out?”

 

***

 

Yami said to himself, “Well, it’s late. I’d better be going.” He stood up, forgetting that Bakura had been leaning against him, currently asleep with an angelic smile on his face. The thief’s head hit the stone when the pharaoh stood up, waking him up.

 

“ITAI!” he screamed into the night. He glared at Yami (or rather his back), who was leaving. Yami didn’t see and just kept walking on instead.

 

It wasn’t until much later that he had realized that he and Bakura had been together for half an hour…without tossing insults at each other every second.

 

 

 

Chapter 2: Depression

(( The next morning… ))

 

Bakura sat up on Ryou’s bed, sniffing for the delicious smell of his light’s cooking. But it never came. The thief stood up confusedly and walked down the stairs dazedly. He rubbed his head. He winced. Ow. It still hurt from when he had hit the stone bench.

 

Ryou was nowhere to be seen. The house was completely empty; Ryou’s father was on another business trip. He walked into the kitchen, quickly spotting a slightly crumpled note on the table, along with some coins. On the note was what was obviously Ryou’s writing, though it showed that he had been in a rush when he had written it.

 

Yami-

Went to Malik’s. I’ll be back around one. You’ll have to make breakfast yourself, sorry. Here’s some money for going to the market. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no food in the refrigerator. (I think Jou at it all the last time he was here…) Ja ne!

- Ryou

 

Bakura glared at the note. I can’t cook! Let’s just hope that some of Aibou’s talents have rubbed off on me. Otherwise…ugh, I don’t even want to think about it. He grabbed the money and got ready to leave the house when he froze in his spot.

 

What the hell do you buy in a market?

 

***

 

The former pharaoh sighed as he got up from his bed in his vacant room. After taking a quick shower, he sat at the kitchen table and the memories of the night before flowed into his mind. He gave another depressed sigh.

 

He hadn’t told Bakura the real reason he was at the park. Sure, it was true that he went there almost every night, but that bench was one of his and Yuugi’s favorite places.

 

Yuugi.

 

The thought of the name just brought painful thoughts into his mind. His hikari, the one that he loved with all of his heart, had broken up with him…just yesterday night.

 

**Flashback**

 

Yami, we can’t be together anymore.” Yuugi said bluntly. Yami gaped at him, completely startled at his partner’s words.

 

“NANI?!? [What?!?]”

 

“You love somebody else. I can tell from the way your eyes look when we’re together. I don’t want to be in your way if you really wish to be with another…It wouldn’t be fair to you…or that person.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Yami questioned confusedly. “I love you.”

 

“And you know that I love you two, but we both know that things aren’t the same anymore.” Yuugi said sadly, looking down. Yami gave his hikari a hard stare.

 

“If that’s your decision, Aibou…then I’ll respect it. But I swear that I do not love anyone else!” The pharaoh exclaimed, still confused.

 

“You may not know now, Yami-chan, demo [but]…you will soon. I know you will.” Yami was silent. “Are you mad at me?” Yuugi asked meekly, mistaking his dark half’s silence for anger. Yami shook his head.

 

“Of course not! I’m just…confused. Yeah, that’s it.” Yami shook his head and walked silently out the front door.

 

**End Flashback**

 

A single tear slipped from the spirit of the Puzzle’s right eye. He wiped it away quickly, slightly embarrassed. He buried his face in his arms. Suddenly, the phone rang.

 

Ring ring! Yami just ignored it and stayed where he was.

 

Ring ring!

 

Ring ring!

 

Ring ring!

 

Yami threw a pen at it. “SHUT THE HELL UP, YOU DAMN PHONE!”

 

Ring ring!

 

He growled and picked up the phone. “Hello?”

 

“Pharaoh! Perfect. I will be at your house in exactly ten minutes.”

 

Uhhwh—” Bakura hung up. Yami stared at the phone in disbelief. He shrugged and went back to moping in the chair.

 

(( Exactly ten minutes later…))

 

The back door creaked open quietly. Yami didn’t move. Maybe that was because he didn’t hear it. Bakura crept up to where Yami was sitting and yelled, “BOOOO!!!”

 

Yami still didn’t move an inch. Bakura frowned. He had been hoping to make the pharaoh at least jump…or something! He poked his supposed enemy. Nothing. He poked him again. Finally, Yami raised his head.

 

“Hello, Thief.” He greeted in a monotone. He received an odd look in return.

 

“What? That’s it? No insult?” he asked, slightly curious. Yami was silent again. “…Pharaoh? Uhh…okay.” He frowned. “Well, we are going to the grocery store.”

 

Yami groaned. “Why?”

 

“I have to have breakfast, you moron. Hey! Do you have any food here?”

 

Yami shook his head. “Yuugi raided the refrigerator yesterday.” He smiled sadly at his aibou’s name. Bakura thought he was grinning.

 

“Okay, okay. I get it. You love your light. Now, let’s go.” Bakura dragged Yami off the seat, which resulted with the Puzzle spirit landing on the ground. Bakura pulled him by the arm outside and into Ryou’s car, which he had ‘borrowed’. Borrowed was a word that he used often.

 

He shoved Yami, who showed no resistance, into the passenger seat and got into the driver’s seat himself.

 

Needless to say, the thief’s driving was not all that great. He swerved from side to side, ignoring all stop signs and traffic lights. Yami barely noticed…or if he did, he didn’t say a thing. They arrived safely (barely) at the local market.

 

Yami turned to Bakura, finally speaking. “What do you buy at a market?” he wondered. Bakura groaned and slapped his forehead.

 

“You don’t know either? Ugh, you’re useless.” He muttered. Bakura was sure that Yami had heard every word he had said, but he was still silent. The pale haired demon frowned. This silent side of Yami was annoying. It felt like he needed someone to insult him…namely the pharaoh.

 

***

 

(( Half an hour later…))

 

Bakura and Yami loaded the groceries into the trunk. A bunch of snacks, canned foods, and something that suspiciously looked like a dead squirrel…nothing special. Yami slid into the passenger seat while Bakura sat in the driver’s. The thief raced to Yuugi’s home, once again demonstrating his great driving skills and flattening a poor defenseless cat on the way.

 

Yami turned back in his seat to see the squat of fur on the road. He flinched as several other drivers drove over it.

 

Bakura screeched onto the driveway and parked to let Yami out. He hesitated, then asked as Yami stepped out, “Pharaoh, not that I care or anything, but why are you acting so…depressed?” in the least domestic voice he could come up with. Yami’s eyes watered.

 

Yuugi broke up with me…” he whispered, slamming the car door shut and running quickly into the Kame Game Corner. Bakura just stared.

 

 

 

Chapter 3: Waterworks

The thief pulled up to the Bakura driveway. Yami’s words ran through his head.

 

Yuugi broke up with me…

 

Yami was…he was single now. It was a dream come true. Demo [but]…I promised myself that I wouldn’t fall in love with him again. I can’t forget the past…Bakura thought sadly. He slammed the door of the car, grabbed the groceries, and fumbled with his keys. After finally managing to open the door, he ran with the bags into the house and dropped them on the kitchen floor.

 

Then he ran back to the front door, locked it tight, and ran back into the kitchen. He grabbed a box of cereal from one of the bags and went into the living room. He seated himself on the sofa, starting to surf the channels on the television. Without removing his eyes from the TV, he grabbed a handful of cereal and ate.

 

Finally, when he was content and satiated, he lay himself down on the couch and drifted off to sleep.

 

***

 

(( A little backwards in time, back to before Yami woke up…))

 

Ryou sat on Malik’s bed while his lover dialed the number to the Kame Game Corner. It rang four times before it was picked up.

 

“Ohayo, Kame Game Shop. May I help you?” came Yuugi’s voice from the other end of the line.

 

Yuugi?” Malik asked.

 

Malik?”

 

“…Yeah. Can you come over to my house? Ryou’s already here.” Malik stated. Yuugi paused.

 

“Sure, I guess. Why?”

 

“Uh…I’m not sure. Ryou says that you’ll find out when you get here. I have no idea what this is about.” The Egyptian replied.

 

“Okay. Ja.”

 

Ja.” Malik hung up.

 

“So?” Ryou asked from the bed. Malik nodded, seating himself next to Ryou. He was leaning in for a kiss when the doorbell rang. He scowled darkly and ran downstairs, opening the door.

 

“BAKA [Idiot]! I WAS AB—” He stopped in the middle of his sentence and looked down to see a smiling Mutoh Yuugi. “Oh. It’s just you. Gomen.” He apologized. Yuugi shrugged.

 

“No big deal. So what did I interrupt on that would make you yell so loud?” he asked innocently. Malik blushed.

 

“…Nothing. How’d you get here so fast?” He asked curiously. Yuugi raised an eyebrow.

 

Malik, I live right by the corner.” He said. The blonde sweatdropped.

 

“Oh yeah. I forgot.” He led Yuugi upstairs to his room, where Ryou was waiting.

 

“Hey, Yuugi!” Ryou greeted.

 

“Hello, Ryou-kun!” Yuugi replied. He cocked his head to the side. “Why am I here again?”

 

Ryou hesitated. “Well…I want to take action on what we discussed yesterday night. I think what you suggested, Yuugi, is a good idea, but I wanted to make sure there were no other ideas.”

 

Malik frowned. “Did I miss something?” Ryou grinned sheepishly. He pulled his boyfriend onto the bed. Malik wrapped a protective arm around his waist and Ryou leaned his head on his shoulder. Yuugi just sat down on the carpeted floor. He averted his eyes politely and sadly from the happy couple. It made him think of Yami.

 

Of how they used to cuddle, of their first kiss…and of Yami in general.

 

Ryou noticed how Yuugi wasn’t his usual cheerful self and how his eyes reflected sorrow. “Yuugi?” he asked softly. “Is something wrong?” Yuugi bit his lip, trying to hold back the tears that flooded his eyes.

 

“I…I…I-I-I broke up with Yami…” he said softly and hugged his knees to his chest, sobbing into his arms. Both Ryou and Malik gaped. Yuugi and Yami…not together anymore?

 

It had been the two Sennen Puzzle owners that had played matchmaker for the two of them. They had showed the two of them not to be embarrassed about their sexual preferences.

 

And now…they weren’t even together anymore?

 

It came as a huge shock. But something’s not right here. Yuugi said that he broke up with his yami. Then why is he crying? Ryou thought.

 

Yuugi?” he asked. “If you broke up with him…then why are you so upset?” Yuugi raised a tearstained face up and looked at his pale haired friend.

 

“I didn’t want to. I really didn’t. But he…he loves another. As in…not me.” At these words, fresh tears flowed down his cheeks. Ryou rushed to his side and hugged him in sympathy. Malik sat down on his other side and awkwardly patted Yuugi on the back, not good at comforting people.

 

Yuugi looked up at the other two hikaris. “Thanks, guys.” He whispered. They both grinned.

 

“No problem.”

 

“So Yuugi-kun, you suggested a party, right?” Ryou said uncomfortably, trying to change the subject. He turned to Malik for a moment. “Yesterday, Bakura seemed really…depressed. I think he feels left out. So I asked Yuugi for ideas to cheer him up.” Yuugi nodded.

 

“We could plan it out and invite everyone. It’d be fun.” He said, sounding a little more like his normal self.

 

Malik raised an eyebrow. “We?” Ryou smiled sweetly at him.

 

“Yes, we.” Malik sighed.

 

“Wait, everyone?” he asked. “Everyone, or everyone everyone?”

 

“…What’s the difference?” Ryou asked confusedly.

 

“One has one everyone and the other has two everyones so everyone would only be everyone and everyone everyone would have literally everyone.” Yuugi said matter-of-factly. Ryou rubbed his head.

 

“Somewhere along there, I got lost. But I suppose you made some sense. Could you repeat that, onegai [please]?”

 

“Sure! One has everyone and the othe—” Yuugi started. Malik shoved his hand over the younger light’s mouth.

 

“Forget I ever said anything! So…how are we going to do this?”

 

“Umm…we need to write invitations.” Ryou said. Malik groaned impatiently.

 

“Can’t we just call them up?”

 

Ryou shrugged. “I guess. Now who are we going to invite?”

 

Yami, Bakura, Mariku, Jou, Honda, Anzu, Shaadi—” Yuugi started to ramble off names of everyone he knew. Malik interrupted.

 

Shaadi? Are you talking about the Guardian? He lives in Egypt!” Yuugi raised an eyebrow.

 

“…and your point is?” he asked innocently. Malik slapped his own forehead and waved his hand to signal for Yuugi to continue.

 

“—Isis, Kaiba, Mokuba, Shizuka, Otogi, Mai, Pegasus—

 

“PEGASUS?” Ryou shrieked fearfully. “Pegasus? As in Pegasus J. Crawford, the former owner of the Sennen Eye? Why would you invite him?” Yuugi shrugged and went on with the list.

 

***

 

(( Eight minutes later…))

 

“Okay! Okay! You can stop now!” Malik yelled. Yuugi stopped and looked at him confusedly.

 

“Why?”

 

“Um, Yuugi? Don’t you want to narrow that list down?” Ryou asked. Yuugi frowned.

 

Aww…fine. We’ll invite Yami, Bakura, Mariku, Jou, Honda, Anzu, Isis, Mai, Kaiba, Mokuba, Shizuka, and Shaadi.” He listed. Ryou sighed.

 

Yuugi, that’s still twelve people, fifteen including us three.” He stated. Yuugi looked at him.

 

“So?”

 

“Are your jii-chan and mother really going to let you host a party with eleven teens, three spirits from Ancient Egypt, and the Guardian of the Sennen Items, who lives in Egypt?”

 

“Sure. Why not? Jii-chan and Mother aren’t even going to be there.” Yuugi replied confidently. Both Malik and Ryou sighed, but shrugged nonetheless.

 

“It’s your place that’s going to be trashed.” Malik said. Ryou tossed Yuugi the phone and Malik an address book. Yuugi tossed the phone back to Ryou.

 

You call. It's your party.”

 

Ryou scowled, but grabbed the address book from Malik’s hands nonetheless. He dialed Jounouchi's number.

 

“Ohayo, Jou? Oh, were you sleeping? Gomen nasai. Let me ask you a question, though. Would you like to come to a party?”

 

 

 

Chapter 4: Preparations

Yami? Yami, wake up!” Ryou gently shook Bakura. He stirred slightly and slowly opened his almond eyes. He blinked at his light.

 

Aibou?” Ryou nodded. “…hi.” Ryou rolled his eyes and started up the stairs. Without even turning around to look at his darker half, he spoke.

 

“Oh, we’ll be going to a party at Yuugi’s house tomorrow. Just to let you know.”

 

Bakura’s eyes widened. “Why?” Ryou didn’t reply, but stopped walking. “Do I have to, Hikari?” he whined. Ryou continued walking on the staircase. “Aibou, I don’t want to go!” Ryou turned around midstep. His soft eyes met Bakura’s.

 

Yami will be there…” he whispered and walked into his room, closing the door. Bakura stared blankly at step where the pale haired light had been standing.

 

“How…how did he know?” he whispered.

 

***

 

Ryou grabbed the blue phone on his desk and quickly dialed Yuugi’s phone number. “He’s coming.” Ryou said bluntly.

 

“Great! Yami said he’d come. Or, he didn’t really say he’d come. He just kind of grumbled something. I think he was in a bad mood. Anyway, he’s coming.” The shorter boy’s voice replied. Ryou nodded, even though Yuugi couldn’t see it.

 

“What about the party supplies and food and…other stuff?” Ryou asked.

 

“Oh, that. It’s already taken care of. We have some old party stuff that I was going to use for my birthday party last year. I’ll need you and Malik to help prepare food, set up the stuff, things like that. And I already asked Mai about the music.”

 

“Okay, good. I’ll meet you tomorrow at ten to prepare?” Ryou said.

 

“Sure. See you then.”

 

Ja ne [Later!].”

 

***

 

(( The next day… ))

 

The bell that signaled the entrance of someone in the Kame Game Corner rang. Yuugi rushed to the counter just in time to see Ryou and Malik walk in. He grinned at them.

 

“Thanks for coming, you two.” He said gratefully. The couple smiled and followed their fellow hikari into the kitchen.

 

“So…umm…let’s start with the food, shall we?” Malik proposed. Yuugi nodded.

 

“Great idea. We already have all kinds of stuff and lots of it, because of Jounouchi. Every time he comes, he always eats all our food, so now Jii-chan [Grandfather] and I actually by food for him and leave it here for him to eat when he comes over.” Yuugi told them, grabbing two bottles of soda from the pantry.

 

Ryou raised an eyebrow and Malik just shook his head, an amused look on his face.

 

“So, we’ll just order pizzas for lunch, right?” Ryou asked. Yuugi nodded.

 

“Yeah. But it’ll be quite a few, since Jounouchi-kun can eat…well…a lot. Plus, it’s for fifteen people anyway.”

 

“I’ll call the store,” Malik offered. Yuugi’s smile widened.

 

“Thanks, Malik-kun.” Malik blinked at the title, then took the phone and a coupon sheet from the refrigerator and left for a quieter place. Yuugi turned to Ryou.

 

“Can you set up the decorations? They’re in a box in the living room.” he said. Ryou shrugged and went into the living room. Yuugi took out the cups and plates and started setting up the refreshment table.

 

He set the cups and soda at one end of the table and placed the plates at the other end. Between them sat plates of cookies, crackers, chips, vegetables and dip, candy, and all an assortment of fruits. Yuugi was right when he said that they bought extra food for Jounouchi.

 

Yuugi looked at all the colorful wrappers on the floor and giggled softly. Then he started to throw them all into a large black garbage bag.

 

Ryou was adorning the living room with gold streamers and throwing white, silver, and gold confetti all over the place. He grinned at his so-called artwork. The living room had been cleared and the couches and tables were all pushed to the side, but you could still sit. A colorful spinning light that shone out in different colors was currently on top of the TV, turned off.

 

Stereos that Mai had offered were next to the television. A stack of CDs was on top of one of the speakers. Gold and white balloons that he had blown floated around the ceiling.

 

A banner that had previously said “Happy Birthday!” was now flipped around and read in green ink: Ryou, Malik, and Yuugi’s Party! Well, actually, it only read: Ryou, Malik, and Yuugi’s Par because he had written his letters too big and had run out of space.

 

Oh well. There was nothing he could do about it. He adjusted a streamer and ran into the kitchen, wanting to show Yuugi his masterpiece.

 

Yuugi had just finished placing a plate of chocolate covered strawberries in the refrigerator when Ryou walked in.

 

“Hey, Ryou! Are you done?” Yuugi asked cheerfully. The idea of having a party had really cheered him up and had helped greatly take his mind off of his dark side. Ryou nodded, just as happy.

 

“Where’s Malik?” Yuugi wondered. The blonde had been gone for a while. Pizza didn’t take that long to order, did it? Ryou shrugged. At that moment, Malik walked into the kitchen, grinning. Ryou hugged him.

 

“Where’ve you been?” he asked. Malik looked at him curiously.

 

“Ordering pizza. Like I said I would.” He replied casually, looking a little confused as to why he was being questioned. Ryou raised an eyebrow.

 

“It takes that long to order pizza?” Malik fidgeted nervously.

 

“Uh…I got in a fight with the guy on the other line. He just wouldn’t give me extra cheese!” he admitted. Ryou just rolled his eyes at his boyfriend. Yuugi interrupted their ‘moment’.

 

“Hey, we need a cake. All parties have cake, don’t they?” he asked. Malik shrugged.

 

“Whatever you say. I’ll just tell Yami and Isis to get one on the way over. No problem.” He said. Yuugi and Ryou looked each other, then at him.

 

“Would Mariku really do that for us?” Yuugi asked. Malik just shrugged again.

 

“Well, not for you guys, but for me, yeah. Anyway, if he won’t, Isis will make him.” He then proceeded to dial the number to his house.

 

***

 

Yami frowned. He looked at his alarm clock on his beside table. He was in his room and on his bed. He had been given a room when Yuugi had ‘showed’ him to Sugoroku, but he barely slept in it.

 

Until now.

 

He preferred to sleep in his hikari’s bed with Yuugi. Or he had preferred to. Now…he wasn’t so sure. After they had broken up, Yami had moved to his room, which was basically empty. I mean, what do you expect a former pharaoh to have in his room in the twenty-first century?

 

Well, there was a really kawaii picture of Yuugi hugging him that was framed and on the bare wooden desk. He took the photo into his hands and gently traced the outline of his lighter half, the corners of his mouth forming into a small smile.

 

He missed his aibou, but had barely even looked at him ever since that…that night. Last night, Yuugi had told him that there was going to be a party today. But even then, Yuugi hadn’t looked him in the eye.

 

It saddened the Pharaoh that his own partner wouldn’t even look at him. He never thought about how depressed Yuugi must have been. How hurt he must have been…

 

All he could think of was the empty feeling in him. He longed to see the little one’s beautiful eyes look back at him and tell him that he loved him.

 

But he shook his head sadly, eyes watering again. The pain will never go away. Yami thought bitterly. I’ll never fall in love again. The pain. It just hurts too much. I’m not going to risk it all happening again. From now on, never will I love anyone.

 

While the Spirit of the Ring had vowed to never fall for Yami again, the Pharaoh had sworn to never fall in love. With anyone…again.

 

Little did either of the two Egyptian spirits know that these promises would collide…and Fate would intervene. Nothing would ever be the same again.

 

 

 

Chapter 5: Impression

The doorbell rang. All three of the lights rushed to the door, grinning. Well actually, only Yuugi and Ryou were grinning. Malik…doesn’t…really…grin. Yuugi flung the door open and hugged the person who stood there. Unfortunately, the person just happened to be…

 

Kaiba Seto.

 

Seto cleared his throat uncomfortably and Yuugi looked up. He let go quickly and flushed noticeably. He ran quickly into the kitchen. Jou, who had just arrived behind Seto, stepped coolly up to his boyfriend. He grabbed the collar of the other’s jacket, which was kind of difficult, considering that Seto is…very tall. Jounouchi lost his usual friendly expression and his eyes grew dark as he glared up.

 

“Did I just see what I thought I saw?” he asked coldly. For once, Seto couldn’t say a word. “You were hugging Yuugi, weren’t you?” Seto opened his mouth to protest, but the blonde just shoved him away.

 

Jounouchi stomped inside, cursing angrily underneath his breath. The CEO followed him in, glaring daggers at Ryou and Malik as if this were their fault. Ryou moved closer to Malik nervously.

 

Meanwhile, Yami stood at the top of the stairwell, watching everything and everyone. His crimson eyes were burning with jealous fury. Yuugi had embraced Kaiba. His sworn enemy! But then he remembered that Yuugi was no longer his and he had no power to stop him from hugging who he wanted to. But did it have to be KAIBA?

 

He wiped his eyes, as he had felt the water building up again, and walked back to his room, slamming the door as hard as he could, like an angsty teenager.

 

Downstairs (where everyone had gathered except for Bakura, Shaadi, and the pizza man, they all jumped at the sudden noise as the house shook. Then they all shrugged at each other and went back to what they were doing.

 

Mai waltzed over to the three hikaris. “Nice party you’ve got going here, Ryou.” She winked at him in a seductive manner. Or at least it would’ve been seductive if Ryou hadn’t been gay. Malik growled and shielded his boyfriend protectively.

 

“Are you hitting on my Ryou?” he demanded. Ryou blushed and touched Malik’s arm reassuringly.

 

“I don’t—” he started. Mai blinked at the Egyptian glaring at her. This time, Jou came to her rescue. Again.

 

“Not unless Mai hits on everyone, Malik. She winks at all of us,” He said casually, gulping down an entire cup of soda afterwards. Mai slung an arm around Jou’s shoulder and they walked to the refreshments table. Together. Malik shot the pair a dirty look before turning back to look at Ryou. He wasn’t there.

 

The Gravekeeper shrugged. Oh well. I better go and check if Yami and Oneesan bought the cake, he thought.

 

Seto watched everyone from his spot on the couch. He sipped his cup of water slowly and spit it back into the cup when he saw Jou pass by. Mai had her arm around his shoulder and his – what was he now? Ex-boyfriend? – was laughing at something she had said.

 

Jou looked at Seto and smirked. He wrapped his arm around Mai’s waist and they walked away from his view. Seto balled his hands into fists. Nobody touched anything that was his except for him. Nobody.

 

That slut is going to pay.

 

The doorbell rang for the seventh (more or less) time. “I’ll get it!” Malik shouted. Yuugi nodded, still red from the ‘incident’. Malik opened the door. Bakura stood there on the doorstep, looking exhausted. Malik blinked. “Whoa. You okay?”

 

Bakura shook his head tiredly and stayed silent. Malik let him in and closed the door behind them, sending his friend a questioning glance. He realized that the thief wasn’t going to say a thing and said, “The Pharaoh’s upstairs, if you want to go find him.” before he left to find Ryou.

 

Bakura stood there, mildly surprised. Why did it seem like everyone knew about Yami…and him? He walked upstairs to Yami’s room, since he had nothing better to do. It wasn’t as if he had even wanted to come to this gathering, anywho.

 

He thought of knocking but didn’t really care at the moment (or ever), so he just walked in.

 

Yami was sitting on the floor near one of the walls, facing it. With Yuugi’s old markers in his hand, he was writing the words “I hate Kaiba” over and over again in Egyptian hieroglyphs.

 

Bakura stifled a snicker and said something instead. “I didn’t know you hated Kaiba so much.”

 

Yami spun around at hearing the familiar voice. Bakura was surprised, no, shocked, to see the pharaoh’s eyes streaming with fresh tears. He opened his mouth twice to make a witty comment, but found that he could. He couldn’t make fun of his past lover…

 

Not now. Not when he was in need of…of comfort.

 

So he did something completely unexpected by both of them. He lifted the former ruler up into his arms and set him gently down on the bed. Yami stared at him in horror.

 

Is this Bakura?!??! was his first thought. Bakura wiped the tears from Yami’s eyes. “Now tell me what’s wrong,” he said in a soothing voice. Okay, this definitely isn’t Bakura. But, I’ll tell him anyway. I need to get this off my chest…

 

“I-I…Yuugi broke up with me.”

 

“Are you still not over that yet? I thought that it was actually something serious—” He stopped at the look that Yami was giving him. “There’s more, isn’t there?” Yami nodded sullenly. He started to describe everything that had happened The Night. Bakura stayed quiet and listened attentively.

 

After he finished, Yami broke into loose sobs. Bakura scooted over until he was right next to him. He started to rub his back soothingly, not really noticing that he was doing so.

 

Yami sighed contentedly, resting in the tomb robber’s arms. His sobs quieted to just sniffles. It actually felt…nice…to be in the tomb robber’s arms. Bakura was just as comfortable. Demo [But] wait…something Yami said…

 

”He (Yuugi) said that I loved somebody else. He said that he could see it in my eyes.”

 

No…Could…could it be? Was Yami in love with somebody else? I’ve failed again…just when I thought I could get him…NO WAIT! Damn it! I made a freaking promise. I’m NOT going to fall for him again! And even though I am a yami and (was) a thief…I don’t break promises.

 

“Pharaoh? Who do you love?” he asked softly, not to startle Yami. Crimson eyes met dark chocolate. Pharaoh’s and tomb robber’s.

 

“I…I don’t know. I…I just don’t know...now.” Yami said finally. Bakura nodded, not feeling too well in the pit of his stomach. He stood up and walked out of the room. On the way though, he dropped something on the ground before he closed the door and walked back downstairs.

 

Yami went to pick it up. It was a photo of him and Bakura. It had been taken in Disneyland Sea with the other members of Yuugi-tachi. But a computer had edited them out, so it was only them two. It was obvious that the tomb robber had worked hard on making it.

 

He smiled slightly and put it on his desk, next to the photo of him and Yuugi. Then he flumped back onto his bed and tried to go to sleep.

 

 

 

Chapter 6: Jealous

Bakura retreated downstairs. It took all his will to keep from pouncing Yami. But he had to gain the Pharaoh’s trust before he gained his heart. So much for not ever falling for him again. He sighed. Every time he tried to say something, it always came out as an insult. It was rather disheartening.

 

Maybe I should just not talk. At least I wouldn’t be insulting him without meaning to. Then both of us would be happy. Well, not happy, but satisfied, I suppose.

 

In Egypt, it had been Yami that had made the first move. It had also been Yami that had broken their love…and the tomb robber’s heart. I suppose I’m just too weak… He plopped himself down next to Seto on the couch.

 

The CEO was staring jealously at Mai and Jou dance. Bakura could sense the fire burning in his cobalt blue eyes.

 

“What the hell’s wrong with you?” Bakura spoke up after a moment of observance.

 

“Nothing,” Seto replied without even a glance. Bakura smirked.

 

“I thought you were with the little mutt?”

 

“I was. Until that Kujaku Mai came. Bitch,” he spat. The ancient spirit raised a delicate eyebrow.

 

“How appropriate. The female dog stole the puppy.” He chuckled, despite his own situation. “Explain.” Seto sighed, leaning on the armrest on his side of the couch.

 

Jou thought that I hugged Yuugi and he got mad. Call it overreacting, but whatever. That’s how Jou is, I suppose. But I know him. He’s only all mushy-mushy with Mai to get back at me.” The billionaire spared Bakura a glance.

 

“You’re lucky. You’re alone and don’t have to deal with any of this love shit.” He shot a dirty look at Mai. Bakura looked at Seto.

 

“You don’t know half of it,” he replied bitterly. “I have to deal with more of it than you ever will have to. Two words for you. Get. Over. It.” With that, he left and went into the kitchen.

 

“…But that’s three words.” Seto stared at Bakura’s departing back a moment before going back to his moping.

 

After a while, he got bored, so he stomped onto the dance floor. He found Jou and dragged him to a darker corner of the room.

 

“What your fucking problem?” the street kid spat. “Why aren’t you dancing with your friend, Yuugi? Or should I say boyfriend?” he sneered. Seto looked Jou in the eye.

 

“Are you implying that I love him more you?” he asked. Jou smirked.

 

“Are you implying that you do love him, then?”

 

Seto gulped. Wrong choice of words…

 

“I…I…I…” he stuttered. But Jou had already left. He sighed. Today was really not his day. He slumped back onto the couch, sulking. Not his day at all.

 

***

 

Bakura wandered to the pantry to get more cups. Not because he was nice, but because he was bored. He opened the door and as he grabbed the bag, he just happened to look down and find Ryou and Malik making out. He dropped the bag on his light’s head and slammed the door after screaming, “Fuck the cups! Get a room, you freaks!”

 

From inside, Malik and Ryou raised their eyebrows at each other, both thinking the same thing. But we are in a room already…Then they both shrugged and went back to kissing and groping places that they shouldn’t be touching.

 

Bakura frowned. He was starting to feel jealous again. Not of Ryou or Malik, but of their relationship. He longed to be loved. Especially by that hot pharaoh. It used to be his role to protect Ryou. It was his purpose.

 

But when Malik had come along, he had lost that purpose. He didn’t have anything against Malik, but he wanted someone to protect.

 

That someone being Yami. He sat down at the kitchen table and went to sleep, dreaming about the night that Yami became his.

 

***

 

Kaiba Mokuba sighed from drinking his fifth cup of fruit punch. He was bored. All these older kids were partying and he didn’t know what to do. Plus, he had the strangest urge to spike Yuugi’s punch. He sighed again and looked at his older brother.

 

Seto was still glaring at Mai and Jou. Mokuba frowned. I thought Nii-sama was with Jou? But why isn’t he with him right now? And why does Jou look so happy dancing with Mai? Did they break up or something? He ran to the still dancing pair. He tugged on Jou’s jacket. Jou looked down at the frowning preteen.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be with Seto?” Mokuba asked innocently.

 

Urusei, you little brat!” Jou growled. Mokuba frowned slightly. What’s wrong with him? He had always played Game Cube with him and Duel Monsters too…

 

“Well, aren’t you?” Mokuba continued to inquiry. Jou scowled and kicked his leg, making him trip and spill his cup of punch all over Mai. Her face turned a shade of dark red in anger.

 

“You ruined my new outfit, you little freak!” she screamed. Mokuba got to his feet and ran out the door, bursting into tears. I’m not usually this emotional, but this is different!

 

Realizing that she had water all over her, clinging to her ever curve, Mai blushed and ran to the bathroom after quickly grabbing her purse. On the other hand, Seto quickly followed Mokuba, worried about what had just happened.

 

All he had seen was (ex?) boyfriend kicking his little brother and knocking over the cup of punch.

 

***

 

Shizuka frowned at her reflection in the mirror. She was in the bathroom after excusing herself from a very boring conversation with Anzu. It probably couldn’t even be called a conversation because all Shizuka had done was just nodded politely while Anzu kept blabbing and blabbing about…she wasn’t even sure what. Probably something about clothes.

 

Shizuka rolled her eyes. Sure, the older girl was a good friend and someone she looked up to, but when she started talking…Oh, she would just keep going, and going, and going.

 

She patted her auburn hair lightly and sighed. She hadn’t liked what she had seen. The whole Jou-Mai thing. What else? But she, like Seto, knew that her brother didn’t really like Mai in that way. He was only trying to make Seto jealous and get revenge.

 

She rolled her eyes to herself again. Sometimes, her brother was just an idiot. Seto wouldn’t get jealous, just really pissed off and probably start thinking about killing Mai. Besides, from what a red Yuugi had told her, Seto hadn’t really hugged him. Yuugi had actually been the one who had given the hug. But it had been on accident, not like it meant anything at all. Too bad Jou didn’t know that.

 

She was startled out of her thoughts by a loud (and desperate sounding) pounding on the door. She blinked curiously and opened it, revealing a drenched Mai, bright red and fuming. Shizuka simply raised an eyebrow and voiced exactly what she was thinking.

 

“What the hell happened to you?”

 

Mai ran into the bathroom and flung down her purse. “Kaiba’s stupid little brother spilled punch all over my new outfit. Now I’m all wet.” Shizuka shook her head and decided to leave the other girl alone. Mokuba wouldn’t do that on purpose, I know. So what’s the real story? She left and wandered back to the living room.

 

Mai swore loudly as she attempted to dry her top off with the hair dryer. After tedious tries, she just gave up and threw her jacket, which she had luckily taken off before, over the top. She shivered slightly, but shrugged it off. She carefully redid her makeup and hair, which was now a slightly red tint because of the bright red punch. Eww…I really have to wash it when I get home…

 

She smirked at her image in the mirror. You’ve still got it, girl, if Jou’s come back. Ha! I knew that Kaiba jerk wasn’t good enough for him. Now I’ve finally got the guy I’ve wanted ever since that Rishid incident during Battle City. Sure, he’s young, but what is age but a simple, ignorant number?

 

He’s always felt the same for me. I know it. He only dates that CEO-show-off because he can get rich off it. And after turning down so many dates from a bunch of other cute guys, I’ve finally gotten what I want.

 

Jounouchi Katsuya.

 

***

 

Shizuka rushed to Yuugi, who was still faintly red. It’s amazing that he stayed blushing for that long of a time period. “Where are the Kaiba brothers?” she asked out of curiosity, not seeing them in the room.

 

Seto ran after Mokuba, who went out the door. I think he was crying,” Yuugi replied.

 

“Why didn’t you go after him?”

 

Yuugi shook his head and looked up at her. “Shizuka-chan, do you really think that Seto would even want me around? After all, the reason Jou’s like this is my fault. If only I hadn’t been so careless…”

 

Shizuka put a comforting hand on another one of her idol’s shoulder. “It’ll be all right. I hope.” Yuugi smiled.

 

“Thanks. Can you go find them for me? I think they went that way.” He pointed out the door.

 

“Sure.” She nodded and ran out the door.

 

“By the way, have you seen Ryou or Malik? I can’t find them anywhere!”

 

***

 

Shizuka found Seto at the side of the Kame Game Corner, trying to comfort a still crying Mokuba. “Kaiba-san?” She said softly. He turned.

 

Shizuka,” he addressed stiffly. She nodded politely and went quickly to Mokuba.

 

“Hey, Mokubadaijoubu?”

 

He sniffed and nodded, wiping his tears with the back of his hands. She smiled weakly and handed him a pack of tissues from her sling-on pack. He wiped his tears and blew his nose before saying, “Arigatou gozaimasu, Shizuka-san.” She gave him a small hug.

 

“No problem, Mokuba. Now, are you sure that you’re okay?”

 

“H-Hai.” He replied.

 

“What did Mai do?” she asked. She really wanted to know.

 

“Mai-san? She didn’t do anything. Jou kicked me and I spilled my punch all over her. I think your oniichan hates me…” Shizuka hugged him tightly this time.

 

“I don’t think he hates you. He’s just being a big idiot. I promise that he doesn’t hate you, okay, Mokuba?” He sniffed and nodded again, then hugged her back. Shizuka let go and patted him on the head affectionately. She stood up, looking up to face Seto.

 

Kaiba-san, I apologize for Oniichan’s idiotic…ness.” She ran a hand through her long hair absently and sighed. Seto shook his head.

 

“It’s not your fault…Demo, could you please go talk some sense into him?” The CEO pleaded, his eyes showing just how desperate he was, even though he was trying to conceal with his usual attitude. Shizuka smiled lightly. She knew Seto.

 

“Of course, Kaiba-san,” she replied softly, then turned and left to look for her brother.

 

 

 

Chapter 7: Imprint

Bakura awoke from his sleep painfully, suddenly aware of the tears flowing down his cheeks. He gave a slight sob and glanced down at his wrist again, the one with the red streak. He had just had a series of dreams about him and Yami in Egypt.

 

The one that he had just awoken from had been a replay of his suicidal attempt. He cringed and tried to push it into the back of his mind.

 

Ryou walked into the room and started when he saw the state of his yami. The tomb robber had salty, dry streaks of tears on his pale cheeks and his eyes were red from crying. His dark almond orbs were hollow and his white hair was completely disheveled.

 

The thief’s light walked up to him. “Yami what happened to you?” Bakura tried to look dignified, but gave up after realizing it was hard to do so with streaks of tears on his face. He started sobbing on Ryou’s shoulder. The hikari was startled by his yami’s sudden change in behavior, but since it was in his nature, he tried to comfort the other nonetheless. He sat Bakura down at the kitchen table and waited patiently for him to finish.

 

When he finally did, Ryou asked calmly, “What’s wrong, Yami?” Bakura sniffled and startled mumbling incoherent words. Ryou caught the word ‘Yami’ somewhere in there.

 

“You don’t really hate him, do you?” he asked softly. There was a long, uncomfortable silence before Bakura shook his head and looked down at his lap in shame. Ryou grabbed a box of tissues and handed it to his dark half. The latter took it gratefully.

 

Hikari? What am I supposed to do?” he asked. Ryou looked up and noticed how helpless his yami looked. He gave him a tight hug before leaving.

 

/Only time will tell, Yami. Only time will tell…/

 

“Yeah, that helps a lot,” Bakura muttered angrily, sarcasm kicking in again. He hurried to the bathroom farthest away from the partying teens, which just so happened to be upstairs.

 

When he got there, he stared at himself in the mirror. He looked…awful. He shuddered and washed his face and attempted to neaten his hair…to its usual state. He knew the red in his eyes wouldn’t fade for a while and he really didn’t want anyone to catch him showing any sign of crying, so he sat down on the toilet cover and waited.

 

He propped his elbows on his lap and rested his head on his palms. He sighed. A headache was starting to form from all this…stress. He closed his eyes and tried to clear his mind and relax.

 

It didn’t work. The mental pain only got worse. I didn’t even know that spirits could get headaches. He opened his eyes. When his vision cleared, he saw something…odd. In front of him was a bunch of messy streaks that could actually be someone trying to write Japanese. He squinted. It was someone writing Japanese! Just not very skillfully.

 

He raised his eyebrow at the messy scribbles, but reminded himself that he probably couldn’t do much better. He knitted his eyebrows in confusion. Ryou had taught him very little of this nation’s language…

 

Bakura.

 

He blinked. Why is my name carved in Yuugi’s bathroom?!?

 

…wait.

 

There were only four people who could’ve carved that. Sugoroku was instantly eliminated because he didn’t even know that Ryou had a yami. Yuugi’s okasan was also eliminated because she didn’t even know Ryou.

 

That left only Yuugi or Yami.

 

Demo…why would either of them write his name on the wall? Especially with a knife?

 

Bakura frowned. It didn’t make any sense at all. Yuugi disliked Bakura because Yami did. And Yami obviously hated him to bits.

 

He sighed again. The pain in his head was increasing.

 

With all of his heart, he wished that it was Yami. Because, then maybe he had a chance with the pharaoh…

 

He closed his eyes again, focusing on a clear picture of Yami. He rose and splashed cold water on his face again, wiped it off slightly, and inhaled deeply. He glanced at his reflection. His eyes were no longer red. Good.

 

***

 

Shizuka walked back into the living room. She scanned the room for her older brother. He was standing in the corner farthest away from Yuugi, who was talking animatedly to Honda. He had his arms crossed and was tapping his right foot on the ground impatiently, shooting glances at the bathroom Mai had run into.

 

She quickened her steps and stopped right in front of him. He glanced down at her and quirked a brow. Shizuka hesitated for a split second, then decided that however reluctant she was to do this, her oniichan needed it. She slapped him. Hard.

 

Seto walked in at this time, Mokuba at his side.

 

Jou raised a hand and slowly touched the side of his cheek, which had just begun to turn purple.

 

Nani—?” he started. Shizuka cut him off.

 

Oniichan, I’m ordering you to stop acting like such an idiot right now. All you ever think about is yourself. Just because Yuugi-san accidentally hugged Kaiba-san doesn’t mean you get to go all multiple personalities and start hitting on Mai.

 

By now, the entire room was eerily silent. Even the music had been turned off. Everyone was looking at the two siblings with curiosity, interest, amusement, confusion, take your pick.

 

“You’re not thinking of how anyone else is feeling, are you? What about Yuugi-san?” The aforementioned boy turned three shades of red and looked down at the floor. “And Seto-san? Ever think about how your boyfriend feels about you dancing with a girl? Especially that way?!?”

 

Jou turned his head to look at Seto, who in turn looked away at a nonexistent point on the wall.

 

“And you know, Oniichan, the way you’re acting, it makes me embarrassed. How could you be so stupid? You have an absolutely cute boyfriend,” Seto blushed slightly, “and you don’t even care! Instead, you stick with Mai, who has already been reserved by somebody else!”

 

Nobody dared asked who had reserved Mai though Anzu did turn a slight shade of pink. Jou looked down into his sister eyes and sighed. “I…I’m sorry.” Shizuka glared up at him and pointed to Seto.

 

“Don’t tell me, tell him.” She went up to Mokuba and started to talk energetically to him, completely ignoring Jou, Seto, and anyone else in the room.

 

Jou’s eyes met those of the Kaiba Corporation CEO’s. He walked hesitantly up to Seto, whose face was blank. “…Gomen,” he whispered softly. Seto smiled the tiniest bit.

 

“Forgiven,” he said just as quietly and held Jou’s held, leaning down to place a soft kiss on the blonde’s lips.

 

And that was the scene that Mai was met with when she walked back into the room. She let out a horrified gasp, running into a guest bedroom nearby with her face in her hands.

 

Neither of the two kissing ones noticed her. They were too occupied with each other. Soon, the curious eyes of the others on them departed and they went back to what they were previously doing. The music got turned back on.

 

Isis smiled at Anzu. “Now’s your chance,” she said, pushing the girl toward the guest bedroom. Anzu straightened her skirt and nervously patted her hair. She took a deep breath and quickly entered the room, shutting the door slowly and carefully behind her.

 

Mai was sitting on the bed, crying her heart out. “Mai-san?” Anzu called softly, not wanting to startle the older girl. She looked up and Anzu could see that she was a mess because her redone makeup was smeared once again. “Are you all right?”

 

Anzu smacked herself mentally. Of course she’s not all right, what am I thinking? She sat down next to Mai cautiously. The blonde sniffled.

 

“What are you doing here? I would’ve thought that you’d be with all your friends out there. Why are you in here with a brokenhearted girl when you could be out there?” She spat angrily. Anzu’s eyes brimmed with tears, threatening to spill onto her cheeks. She looked away, suddenly finding the armchair very interesting.

 

“Because I care,” she said quietly after a moment of silence. Mai’s violet eyes shot up, alerted.

 

“Why?”

 

There was an even longer silence after that word was spoken. Then…

 

“I…I like you a lot.” Anzu flushed and averted her gaze. “I mean, I like you a lot.” Mai stood up, now completely alarmed. She gazed at the brunette. Did I hear right?

 

“W-what?” she stuttered nervously, not sure what she wanted the answer to be.

 

“I said, I like you, Mai-chan. I-I don’t care if you don’t feel the same way…” She looked down. “I just needed to get that off my chest.”

 

Mai-chan? Mai raised an eyebrow. When did I earn that title? She didn’t know what to say. The guy that she had been totally in love with had practically abandoned her and now this girl was confessing her crush on her. This is all happening too fast!

 

Her head spun and she thought about it. Do…do I feel the same way? Because the last time I thought I loved someone…they didn’t love me back at all. And now…

 

Anzu had started out the door, taking Mai’s silence as rejection. It was stupid of me to think that I even had a chance with her…I mean, it’s so obvious that she’s too good for me.

 

“Wait…Anzu.”

 

Anzu stopped in her tracks and turned to see Mai walking toward her hesitantly. But without warning, the blonde leaned down and kissed Anzu lightly on the lips. The brunette blushed and eagerly kissed back. Mai pulled away reluctantly and smiled.

 

“I never said no, Anzu.” Anzu’s eyes lit up and she hugged Mai tightly. Mai complied and hugged her back. “Should we go back to the others, now?” she asked, breaking the embrace.

 

Anzu smiled and grabbed Mai’s hand, intertwining it with her own. “Let’s.”

 

 

 

Chapter 8: Silent

Bakura stirred slightly, moaning in his sleep. He blinked his eyes open groggily. The blurry sight of Yami writing in a notebook met him. He tried to say something, but it came out as a groan. Yami turned suddenly and looked at him, his eyes alarmed. He threw the book under the bed quickly.

 

“Pharaoh? What was that book for?”

 

Yami sweated nervously. “Erm…my diary.” Bakura’s eyes shot up curiously.

 

“You keep a diary?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Yami blinked. That was it?

 

“Aren’t you going to make an insult?” he asked bitterly. Bakura frowned.

 

“Why?”

 

Yami shook his head. The Thief is really confusing me… “Never mind.” Bakura nodded.

 

Yami suddenly smirked. “Why don’t we play a little game?” The Thief’s eyebrow quirked up.

 

“A game?”

 

“Yes. I’ll ask you a question and you have to answer it truthfully. You can do the same to me.” Bakura thought for a moment, then shrugged.

 

“Sure, why not?”

 

Yami smirked widely. I’m going to win this… “Alright, is your hair really that color?”

 

Bakura looked confused, then touched a strand of his silvery hair. You’ve forgotten, Yami…my hair used to be one of your favorite things about me…Of course, you loved everything about me, and me you…Oh, I only wish you KNEW…He nodded.

 

“What color are your eyes?” he asked. Yami blinked before answering quickly.

 

“Crimson.”

 

Bakura nodded again, but he had known the answer to that already. Of course. In Egypt, I spent hours staring into your beautiful crimson eyes…and I still do when you’re not looking…

 

“Do you believe in love at first sight?”

 

That question took the ancient tomb robber by surprise. Vivid memories flashed before him; the first time he was captured by the palace guards and taken to the Pharaoh (Yami’s father), the first time he spotted the Egyptian Prince (Yami), the fluttery feeling he felt instantly, and so on. He gulped and whispered out a weak yes.

 

“Do you?” Bakura asked back.

 

Yami was silent for a few moments. Suddenly, there was a memory that flashed brilliantly in his mind.

 

**Flashback**

 

A pale, sickly looking, snow haired boy stood before the Pharaoh. The guards that had captured him were on their knees and had their heads pressed to the ground.

 

“Well, slave? Aren’t you going to bow for your Pharaoh?”

 

The little boy, no more than eight, scowled. “I’m not going to bow for you or anyone.” The Pharaoh snarled and the guards leapt to their feet, quickly binding the boy’s hands and feet. They tied a piece of rope around his neck and started dragging the boy by the other end of the rope.

 

“Let go of me! Get your grimy hands off! Stop—” The boy yelped. The door to the right of the throne creaked open. A small young boy with crazy hair sticking up all over the place and bright red crimson eyes walked in. He looked up at his father with huge eyes.

 

“Father? I need help with—” he started, before being cut off by the yells of the silver haired boy. He looked at where the guards were trying to drag the stubborn boy and gasped at the sudden warm feeling that engulfed him. The little prince ran up to the other child.

 

He gently untied all his bounds and undid the rope around his neck. While doing this, he touched the little thief’s pale hands. The white haired boy with the large brown eyes shivered slightly, but recovered quickly. The prince smiled, and nodded.

 

“Go,” he whispered softly. The little robber gazed into those beautiful crimson eyes one last time before running as fast as he could out the palace door.

 

**End Flashback**

 

Yami’s throat tightened. “Yes.” I…I loved Bakura in Egypt? Is that what that vision was supposed to show me? Or was it just…I don’t know. How could I love him? WHY would I love him? Aren’t I supposed to hate him?!? I don’t understand…

 

“Thief, I’m going to ask you something you asked me.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Who do you love?”

 

 

Chapter 9: Worthy

Bakura froze. “L-l-love?” He looked down. “I can’t tell you that…”

 

“Why not? It’s not a girl, is it?” Yami asked half-hopefully. Bakura shook his head quickly. “Then why can’t you tell me? Do I know this person? Does he know?”

 

“You know him well.” Much more than you may know…Bakura thought. Yami blanched. It can’t be Yugi, can it? Eh, probably not.

 

“So does he know?” Yami repeated.

 

“No.” Like hell I would tell you…you’d probably just stab me with a knife and throw me off a cliff.

 

“Why don’t you tell him?”

 

“He’s way out of my league and would never love me…” Bakura said, eyes closing.

 

“Who is it?”

 

Bakura’s eyes flew open. I have to tell him. Maybe…  “You,” he whispered softly, eyes looking down at his lap ashamedly. There. I finally said it. I guess I can throw myself out the window now. Oh, damnit! Why isn’t he saying anything?

 

Yami’s mind was a blur. Bakura loved him! Loved him! Do I love him? A few hours ago I was still moping around about Yugi…and now Thief’s confessing his love to me. What do I do?

 

Bakura’s mind had made a decision. He was seriously going to jump out of the window. He walked to it, pushed the glass pane aside, and threw the screen aside. He took a breath and leaped. He kept his eyes shut, but on instinct put his left arm out, which held onto the windowsill.

 

He blinked his eyes open as he realized that he was hanging between the first and second stories with just five fingers. He gulped. Shit.

 

Meanwhile, Yami was still in foggy confusion. He suddenly realized that the other spirit wasn’t there. “Thief?” he croaked. A breeze of chilly air blew into the room from the open window. He gasped. “Thief?” He spotted the hand holding onto the sill and ran to the window. “What are you doing?!?” he cried out.

 

Bakura looked up at him. “Help first, questions later!” Yami nodded and put out a hand. Bakura took another breath and grabbed onto the hand he had held so many times before. Yami carefully pulled him up, struggling slightly when he almost fell out himself.

 

Once the two were safe, Bakura stopped panting and looked up at Yami, who had taken his seat on his bed.

 

“Pharaoh?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Why did you just do that? You could’ve gotten rid of me easily.”

 

“Because…I think I love you too.”

 

Bakura’s eyes shot up excitedly. “Are you serious?” Yami gave him a smile.

 

“Yeah…” The ancient spirit jumped up and embraced Yami tightly. The pharaoh let out a gasp of breath before wrapping his arms around his fellow yami. Yami reluctantly let go. He looked Bakura in the eye. Brown met crimson. “Did we really hate each other in Egypt?”

 

Bakura averted his gaze from the one he loved. “No…we were affectionate lovers.”

 

Yami’s eyes lit up. “Really?”

 

Bakura nodded and smiled at the peaceful memories. “I can show you.” With that, he took Yami by the hand and his other hand clenched the Millennium Ring. He closed his eyes and focused both their Shadow energies. They appeared in what was obviously Egypt. Bakura led him behind a pyramid.

 

There, Yami could see clearly that there were two young teens lying peacefully in the soft sand and looking at the stars. There was him, about twelve, and Bakura, who looked very similar to Ryou. Young Bakura leaned over Young Yami and tenderly kissed him. Young Yami eagerly kissed back.

 

They appeared in another memory, on the roof of the palace. Here, Yami and Bakura were only the teeniest older, perhaps thirteen or fourteen. Their hands were intertwined and their foreheads were touching. They were gazing into each other’s eyes with affection.

 

Young Bakura whispered something to Young Yami, who turned a faint shade of pink and whispered back something that made Bakura smile lightly.

 

Once again, the scene changed. This time, they were in one of Yami’s bedrooms and sitting on the floor. Yami was sitting behind Bakura and was playing gently with his hair, which seemed brighter than usual. Young Bakura had his eyes closed and reached behind him to caress Young Yami’s cheek. Young Yami smiled and nuzzled Young Bakura on the neck.

 

The two spirits appeared in a washroom, where one lone figure stood. The room was lit by scented candles and the slight silhouette of a Bakura looking almost identical to the spirit Bakura could be identified. He held a silver knife in his hand shakily.

 

“He doesn’t love me anymore. Then there’s no point in living.” He lifted the blade until it was just above his wrist and dug it in. Spirit Bakura paled. Yami wasn’t supposed to see this! He quickly tugged on the former Pharaoh’s hand and left the memory.

 

They returned to Yami’s bedroom. Bakura flumped onto the bed, letting sobs rack his body. I didn’t need to see that again…just LOOKING at the cut is already painful enough, but I just…Oh, now Yami knows! I was hoping he wouldn’t ever find out, but now…

 

Yami sat down next to Bakura. “Are you all right?”

 

“Yes…no…I mean, yeah…no…I’m not…” He was getting himself confused. He fell into Yami’s arms and sighed. Yami gently put his hand on top of the tomb robber’s without knowing.

 

“What was that memory about?” Yami’s face looked concerned and troubled. Bakura closed his eyes.

 

“…I…don’t…ohh…”

 

“You don’t want to tell me?”

 

Bakura heaved another sigh. “No, I have to tell you. If we’re going to really love each other, you have the right to know.” He buried his head in Yami’s chest.

 

“A guard caught us…ahem…and you were horrified. You told me that you didn’t love me anymore…that you never loved me. I…I suppose I took drastic measures and tried to…well, you can figure out the rest. Of course, I realized what I was doing and stopped the blade, but I still carry the scar.”

 

With that, Bakura raised his arm and showed the Pharaoh the red streak on his wrist. Yami frowned.

 

“…I don’t see anything.”

 

WHAT? Bakura looked at his hand…and it was true.

 

There was nothing.

 

Nothing.

 

Not a single scar.

 

No dried blood.

 

It was gone.

 

“The…how…it was just…there…but…oh, Ra…” Bakura stuttered. Yami silenced him with a peck on the lips. Bakura’s eyes snapped up and looked into Yami’s gorgeous crimson eyes. “Mine,” he whispered. Yami smiled softly at him, admiring his new love’s lovely soft chocolate eyes.

 

Bakura sat up and wrapped his arms around Yami’s waist, gently pressing his lips to the pharaoh’s. Yami looked up at the thief and put his arms around Bakura while softly kissing him back. Bakura slipped his tongue in slowly, unaware that Yami gave instant entrance.

 

They stayed like that for what seemed like forever.

 

The door suddenly burst open, revealing the three hikaris. Ryou was smiling innocently and Malik was smirking widely, with his arms around Ryou’s waist.

 

Yuugi, on the other hand, seemed anything but happy. His face was a white sheet of shock. He made a few incoherent sounds and wiped his eyes to check if he was seeing correctly.

 

He was.

 

The short freshman let out an ear-piercing scream that shook the house and his feet carried him out the door and into his room, where he slammed the door.

 

Yami and Bakura barely noticed. In fact, they were unaware of the others in the room. Ryou motioned Malik to leave. They did, closing the door quietly.

 

Finally, the two lovers let go of each other.

 

Yami embraced Bakura and Bakura hugged him back.

 

“I’m not worthy of you, but I swear, by the will of Ra, that I will love you forever, Yami.”

 

Yami practically melted there. “And I also swear to love you…always, Bakura.”

 

This is a dream come true. Yami just promised me his love. “We should go,” Bakura said. Yami nodded in agreement.

 

And with that, they walked together, hand-in-hand, back to the party.

 

 

Without knowing it, both spirits had just broken their previous promises.

 

Yami, who had sworn not to love anyone ever again, had now promised his love to Bakura.

 

Bakura had promised to himself to not fall in love with Yami again. But now he did, again.

 

Therefore, the promises did collide and Fate did intervene.

 

 

 

Chapter 10: Together

In the living room, Mai, Jou, Seto, Ryou, Malik, and Anzu were currently…gone. In other words, they were doing unmentionable things.

Yami Malik was still in his soul room. Shizuka and Mokuba were still talking animatedly and Honda was sulking in the corner about not having anyone who loved him. Isis was eating on the couch.

And Shaadi was still missing.

When Yami and Bakura walked into the room, their hands linked, they got completely different responses from each of the remaining people than they had expected.

Shizuka stared at them for a few seconds, then smiled before talking with Mokuba again.

Mokuba looked at them and shot the couple a cocky grin, then went back to listening to what Shizuka was saying.

Tristan let out a frustrated sound and started muttering about how everyone had a boy/girlfriend. Then he walked out the door, slamming it as hard as he could.

Isis merely raised an eyebrow at them before shaking her head and going back to the crackers she was eating.

Yami and Bakura just stood there, waiting for someone to say something, though no one showed any sign of doing that.

“So much for an amusing reaction,” Bakura muttered in Yami’s ear. Yami grinned.

“That’s okay. I bet the others will be surprised,” he whispered back. But something was nagging him.

Why don’t I feel guilty? Why don’t I feel like I’m betraying Yugi? Shouldn’t I? Isn’t that how love works? Why?

Bakura looked worriedly at him. “Are you all right?” Yami blinked at him.

“…Yeah.” He sighed inwardly.

Yuugi sat at his desk with his head buried in his arms. He threw the last piece of tissue in the trash can and missed badly. He sighed. His own words echoed in his head.

"You love somebody else. I can tell from the way your eyes are when we're together."

This was it. Even though he had said that only a few days ago, it seemed like an eternity. And then he hadn’t known who that ‘somebody else’ was.

Now he knew.

And it was horrible to know who it was.

It was Bakura.

The one that he had thought that Yami had hated the most…

Loved Yami. But the worst part was knowing that Yami loved him back.

Slowly, he took opened his top desk drawer and took out a piece of lined paper. He picked up a black pen and began to write.

 

Later that night…

The two ancient spirits lay on top of Ryou’s house roof.

After the party was over, the guests had gone home (obviously).

Mai and Anzu had snuck over to Mai’s place; the Jounouchi and Kaiba siblings had gone to the Kaiba mansion; Isis, Malik and Ryou had gone to the Ishtar house. Yami had decided to go home with Bakura.

And now, there they were.

Just lying on top of the roof and enjoying the peace and the night sky full of stars. Both spirits lay there in silence, just enjoying each other’s company and the stars twinkling up above.

Suddenly, Yami took Bakura’s hand. With his free hand, he pointed at the sky when Bakura looked at him curiously.

“Look. It’s a shooting star.”

Bakura scooted closer to Yami and smiled. “Yeah…” Yami put his head on the thief’s chest.

“Make a wish,” the pharaoh said.

“Why?” Bakura answered. “I already have all I want. You and your heart.”

He smiled softly and bent his head to kiss the pharaoh. Yami smiled into the kiss and flicked his tongue out to lick Bakura’s lips. Bakura let out a soft moan and wrapped his arms around the pharaoh.

Yami let Bakura’s tongue enter his mouth and explore every corner.

Finally, they let go of each other. Bakura hugged Yami to him. “Mine. My Pharaoh.”

Yami smiled and kissed him on the nose before closing his eyes and sighing contentedly.

“I love you, Bakura,” he whispered, truly meaning every word he said. He could feel that the bond with Bakura that had just been developed was much more stronger than the one he had had with Yugi.

“I love you too, Yami…” Bakura said softly before they both drifted off to sleep.

And there they were. Two lovers sworn to love each other forever…always.

 

 

FIN